1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery dies on standby after ssd install...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by car12586, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. car12586

car12586 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the best place for this topic, but here goes. During the Christmas season i received a shiny new SSD for my Dell 1121 laptop. I went about installing the drive following one of the many install articles on the interwebs that shows several optimization tips for SSDs. After doing so i noticed the expected increase in performance. Mostly the startup times of the OS and of most apps.

Only problem i have now is that my battery tends to die rather rapid while the system sleeps. Prior to the SSD it would seem i could leave the system on standby for a week or better with no issue. Now i am lucky if the system stays alive for a day on standby.

Can anyone think of something that may have changed during the install or a SSD optimization thing that could have screwed with my battery life on standby?

Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "standby"? Do you mean Sleep, Hibernate, screen saver or something else?

3. car12586

car12586 Thread Starter

By default I always sleep.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A whole day in Sleep doesn't sound that bad to me, and a week in Sleep on battery astounds me.

Are you sure that before the PC wasn't going into Hibernation after a set time or when the battery got low? In Hibernation the battery will last as long as it does when Off.

5. car12586

car12586 Thread Starter

TerryNet,

I guess it could have been hibernating before the SSD. Then after the install the hibernate was disabled. I feel a little dumb now, but this makes sense.

With that being the likely culprit, is there any way to increase battery life without completely shutting down after each use?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only difference between Sleep and Off is (or should be) enough power to keep RAM alive. So unless there is some defect I think there is no way of improving on that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice