1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery drain

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IITMocker, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IITMocker

IITMocker Thread Starter

When my battery is less than half full, it will only charge the battery when I turn off the lab top. If I am using the labtop, the battery drains it down to almost nothing despite being plugged in. I have the battery icon running, and it seems that it constantly alternates between "plug in" and "battery usage," but will not stay as plugged in permanently.

I checked the cords and power adapter (to see if it's truly plugged in) and tested different wall connection, but got the same result each time. Is it my battery or is it because of what I am running on the labtop, which requires a lot of power? I usually have 2 or 3 programs running at the same time, including wireless.

is there any "fix" for this problem or do I have to buy a new battery? It's only been 1 1/2 yr.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

:) Maybe someone else knows something else to do but in general I would say you need a new battery. They do reach that point and a year and a half isn't that uncommon for a laptop battery to fail.
    You probably all ready know it's the battery it's just a matter of having to purchase another one when it seems like they should run longer than they do. Luck Jazz

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You could also be experiencing issues with either the P/S or the laptop internal power module. Could the power jack be loose, that happens a lot, especially if you carry the laptop around with the power cord plugged in, or someone trips over the cord.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice