1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved battery is 0% available, plugged in, but not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamarrolon, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamarrolon

jamarrolon Thread Starter

I bought a used laptop from Newegg about December, and for some odd reason I keep having issues with the battery not charging. It first stated that the battery is 0% available, plugged in, but not charging. I looked it up online, I tried going to the Device Manager and find the Batteries;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, right click, and uninstall the driver. Then I went to the Action menu at the top of Device Manager, and Scan for Hardware Changes. I waited for it to reinstall the driver. That didn’t work. I tried to do it in safe mode and did the same thing, and it didn't work either. Then I tried to uninstall the battery config, powered down, removed battery, powered up with power supply then reconnected battery, still didn't work. So then I bought another battery from Amazon, that worked for awhile then I had the same issue. So I returned that battery. I just bought another battery 2 weeks ago and now am having the same issue. Now I am thinking this all cannot be a coincidence and it must be the laptop. Do you have any suggestions please and thank you.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Make sure you are using a genuine charger that has the correct voltages required from the manufacturer. Also the battery needs to be a decent one and not a "china cheapie"

Had a few bad experiences with "china cheapies" batteries.

3. jamarrolon

Thank you. The charger is the OEM one I received when I bought it from Newegg. The description of the laptop is this below.
    HP Laptop 6560B Intel Core i5 2nd Gen 2520M (2.50 GHz) 4 GB Memory 320 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 3000 15.6" Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    the link to the newegg is below
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267005
    So I looked on HP website, they don't make that battery anymore, or rather sell them. I bought the laptop for my business I run out of my house. The charger works fine. I can work all day with the charger plugged in, but when I want to be mobile, the laptop instantly dies. Do you or anyone recommend where to buy good quality batteries from? I bought two different ones from Amazon, a 6-cell one and also a 9-cell. Oh and the original battery that came with it held a charge, but it died within 15-20 min of taking it off the charger. I would say that is normal as the laptop wasn't new, but refurbished.

Anything would help me at this point.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Can you provide a pic and / or the EXACT product ID and model number of the ORIGINAL HP battery that was in it?

5. jamarrolon

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    What about the AC adaptor? Is it the 65W or 90W variant?

7. jamarrolon

The A/C adapter shows a 65W variant

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Rather than buying from Amazon, buy a battery from Batteries + Bulbs.

I got one for an Acer netbook purchased in 2011. It costs more than Amazon but the battery is guaranteed for 1 year. If it fails, they replace at no cost to you. This makes it very handy. I don't have to mail anything back and hope I get a refund. And for 1 year I know I'll have a battery that works perfectly.

I took the netbook to the store and put the battery in, plugged it in and made sure it was recognized and would charge. The battery is a Duracell.

9. jamarrolon

Thank you I will do that. I appreciate all your help. I will take my laptop into them this weekend, and do that. I would rather spend more money on something that works, than spend less and have this problem. Not being mobile on my laptop is very frustrating.

metallica5456 likes this.
  10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Good Luck.

Thanks for that option , Liz.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That's why I bought a "local" battery for my 2011 netbook. We'll travel with it because if something happens to it, it won't be as painful as it would be if we took a newer netbook.

metallica5456 likes this.
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice