1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CatofDoom, May 28, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. CatofDoom

CatofDoom Thread Starter

I have an HP Notebook that runs Windows 10. I have it for around three years now. It works fine for the most part, but I'm having issues with my battery and charging.

Whenever I plug it in, the computer will turn on and work just fine, but it will say it is not charging. Since the battery has died, I cannot it use the computer unless it is plugged in.

I think I know what caused the problem. I used my computer while it was plugged in and charging and left it like that because I did not want to have to wait for it to finish charging.

Lots of sites I have visited for this issue say to uninstall the battery drivers and they will automatically reinstall upon a restart, but I have not tried this yet due to fear of screwing things up more.

Thanks in advance!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There's nothing wrong with using your HP laptop while its power adapter is plugged in and its battery is charging.
    I do that all the time with my Dell laptop.

If your HP laptop is 3 years old, it's very possible its battery can no longer hold a charge or has very little burn time left.
    Have you considered buying a replacement battery for it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. CatofDoom

CatofDoom Thread Starter

I have, but I want to make sure it isn't anything else, first.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I do that all the time with current laptops and previous laptops I've owned. That doesn't cause the battery to go bad.
    A battery has so many charge and discharge cycles. The more it charges and discharges, the faster the battery will need replacing.
    Our Acer needed a new battery after 5 years. On the other hand, I have an eeepc purchased in 2008 that can still run off the battery. Granted the amount of time it will run has decreased from 3 hours to an hour or less.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

To add to what's been said, heat also has a dramatic affect on battery life...especially Lithium Ion batteries. If you find your laptop is running hot and you're in a more or less stationary place (such as a desk), you might want to use one of those laptop coolers.

lynx1021 likes this.
  6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you mostly use the laptop with the charger consider removing the battery, especially if you buy a new one.

7. zx10guy

I'm seeing newer laptops with power management functionality which detects if you're on main power over using the battery. It'll automatically adjust for this or you can set this manually with the power management drivers.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's interesting. (I was referring to a new battery in my previous post though).

9. CatofDoom

CatofDoom Thread Starter

So I do need to buy a new battery, but keeping it plugged in is what caused the problem?

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I do think you should get a new battery. Keeping a battery plugged in when using the charger a lot will reduce how much charge it can hold.

11. zx10guy

Yes. I've seen some laptops where the power management software some how tracks how often you're on battery versus on main power. It'll throw up a notice saying that it suggests changing the power profile because you're plugged in more than using the battery. This is becoming more and more important as many of these low profile/thin laptops do not have easily removable batteries.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I can see how that power management software is more important with newer laptop batteries that are difficult to replace.

I've read that heat is a major factor in battery life so if it's possible to remove the battery away from the warm laptop doing so would make sense.

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

My 2013 Toshiba C55 still has the original battery and I get about 3hrs off of it (4hrs new). The last year I didn't use it much except to pull it out and do updates every couple of months and a full recharge. It has some kind of monitoring on it because I got a pop up wanting me to change the profile.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!