1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery life if you turn off Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic54, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I've got an older Dell Latitude that I've turned into something of a netbook. It has to only have a 4 cell battery because it only last's an hour and a half give or take 15 minutes (depending on brightness).

How much battery life can I save by disabling Wi-fi? I don't have just a switch on the side of the laptop that I can turn off/on. By disabling it, I would go into Network Connections and right click on my wireless connection and disable it there? Would that save any battery life?

2. Sponsor

3. BG-0

BG-0

Disabling the wi-fi adapter will increase battery life noticeably. Going to Network Connections and doing anything there won't disable the adapter though. Only the connection.
    Look at the manual, find a Fn+Something key combination for disabling the adapter, if you don't have a switch. After disabling the adapter with the key combination or the switch, you don't have to disable the connection in the OS.

4. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I don't seem to have an FN keys that would do that. I've looked through the manual and don't see any indication that I have a key like that. I have a Suspend, Setup, a Battery icon, Num lock, scroll lock, nothing on F6/F7, F8=CRT/LCD, nothing on F9, F10 has an upside down half circle, and the rest are the standard prints screen, etc.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latc400/

Do you think that what I described on the F8 key could do it? Right now it does nothing so I'm thinking I need to install a driver etc to get it working.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=LAT_PNT_P3_C400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

5. BG-0

BG-0

The F8 is for using an external monitor. I really don't know. The laptop seems to have an optional wireless connectivity, are you sure you even have a wireless adapter?

6. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ha ha ha, yes I do. If I didn't I would have to use a USB Wi-Fi dongle. I could take a picture of my F keys to give you a better idea. I realize the F8 key is for external monitors (hence the CRT/LCD) but I still have no idea about the F10. I'll take a picture to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

[​IMG]

7. BG-0

BG-0

Any change in the leds/whatever on the laptop when you press Fn+F10? There should be some kind of indication of the wireless adapter shutting down somewhere... I would really think that icon as the wireless, can't think anything else it could be. Usually it's some kind of an antennae icon, but who knows...

8. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Whenever I press it, I don't really see anything happening. I tried to look that key up in the manual above, but it seems to skip right over it.

I just had to install a driver to get Dell's QuickSet key to work. For example, I set mine to open Word 2007 anytime I press it.

Do you think it is the same kind of thing, where I need a driver installed?

Edit: If I go to Manage and then Device Manager and pull up my Wireless card, I have the option to disable wireless in there. Is that way I need? Definitely more of a hassle that way if that is the right way, definitely would be easier using the FN key if possible.

9. BG-0

BG-0

It seems the Fn+F10 is for toggling infrared instead of the wireless adapter. So, no driver will fix that.

I really don't know any convenient way to go around going to device manager to disable the wireless adapter... You could ask someone to write a .bat file for you so you could either click it from your desktop or bind it to some key combination... I don't know if that's possible though.

10. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

This is what I was talking about before in Device Manager.

[​IMG]

11. BG-0

BG-0

I'm seriously suprised that there isn't anything concerning this to be found anywhere... Some Dell forum might be a place to search with millions of different search term combinations, a pain, but might bring a solution... I'm really sorry but I'm on the limit of my Dell and laptop knowledge... :rolleyes:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice