1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battery life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdemnyan1116, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

I have my old Windows 95 computer sitting upstairs unplugged. If the battery goes dead, will it be useless or when I put another battery in after it is dead, will it come back to life. Don't want to keep in plugged in if no one is going to use it.:confused:

2. Hairy

Hairy

hello jdemnyan1116

if the motherboard battery does go dead, when you boot it up you'll probably get a "CMOS Checksum " error....

meaning all the settings in the BIOS setup area are at default including the time/date.......you'll have to rest it

you may want to keep a record of that stuff, or sell it for a couple bucks *-)

You'll probably have to rest it should have read <B>reset</B>
    .....typo......

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- I've read online in various places about people who have gone away from home, left pc unpowered, for a year or more- came back, plugged in, and they start right up. Myself, I have seen this a few times, as well. When someone gives me an old system, they usually tell me when they used it last- if it has been a long time, and I really want to see what was on the drives, I will plug them in for a few hours before starting up.
    Have seen all kinds of battery problems....ones that seem OK, then lose or GAIN time....I have one now that does gain time....cant figure that out! When the battery gets low enough, some systems will flash a warning message when you boot up.
    Removing the battery for a few minutes will cause the system to load setup defaults....this helps with getting rid of passwords to the BIOS that people may have set and left there.
    Here's a good one: The biggest computer supply place we have in a good sized metropolis here in NY does NOT stock batteries! Have to go to another place, Staples, for them.
    The local Radio Shack store, has all kinds of cables, adapters, everything you could want for a puter....except modems! :confused: :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!