1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery Not Detected || ACER Aspire 3680

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bricker13, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bricker13

bricker13 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an ACER Aspire 3680 laptop. About 1 year ago, I purchased an OEM battery (compatible based on number match) to replace the manufacturer's battery that had stopped charging. I installed the battery, plugged in the AC adapter and turned on the computer. Once fully booted, the battery icon said "Battery not found". The laptop works as long as it's plugged in to the AC adapter, but powers off immediately if the adapter is removed.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. My thought is that it might be solved by updating a driver, but it could also be that the hardware that converts the AC to charge the batter is defunct.

I appreciate all suggestions! :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try re-seating the battery, it might just be a poor connection.

If the battery doesn't charge with the laptop turned off then it's not a driver issue. More than likely its a faulty battery. Being a year old I doubt you can return it now.

3. bricker13

bricker13 Thread Starter

I took the battery out and reinstalled it. I plugged it in and turned on the laptop. When I removed the power, it turned off immediately. Would you recommend buying a new battery and trying this process over?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Up to you, the Aspire 3680 is a pretty old entry level. If you do buy a battery I would however recommend buying it from a reputable source that includes a return policy.

5. bricker13

bricker13 Thread Starter

Please recommend a reputable battery seller in the USA. Would you also explain the hardware that charges a battery: is it part of the motherboard or is it a separate component that I could buy and replace?

Thank you.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm not in the US but I've bought some from this site: http://www.battdepot.com/us/. Also Staples sells batteries here in Canada.

In most laptop it's all part of the mainboard.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice