1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery notice - "plugged in, not charging"

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ladyluckxixi, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladyluckxixi

ladyluckxixi Thread Starter

I have a 3-year-old Toshiba satellite C655 with Windows 7. Last night, after I restarted it for updates, the battery symbol read "Plugged in, not charging".
    This is NOT the first time this happened to my computer. A couple months ago, the same notice appeared. At that point in time I did some combination of shutting down, removing battery, unplugging etc. and it was fixed. Since then I have gotten a new AC adapter because my old one had a short.
    Anyway, I looked around on the internet, tried a few things, and eventually came across these instuctions:
    1. Disconnect AC, 2. Shutdown, 3. Remove battery, 4. Connect AC, 5. Startup, 6. Uninstall AC Compliant control method, 7. Shutdown, 8. Disconnect AC, 9. Insert battery, 10. Connect AC, 11. Startup.
    Yay! It worked. I moved my computer from one location to another and it was still working. However, when I got on the following morning, it was back to the message "Plugged in, not charging". Also, the message came up again that I needed to restart my computer for updates even though I had done this the night before.
    I retried the previous fix. No luck. I tried some other suggestions. No luck. In the meantime, I've taken out my battery so it doesn't die (my computer works with only the AC in, as well as with only the battery in, or with both). However, I use my computer a lot and I'm often in situations were plugging it in is not an option (I also don't want it to shut down every time I unplug it).
    I've never replaced the battery but I am inclined to believe it's a software issue because it was temporarily fixed. I potentially have the money to buy a new computer, but that's a last resort and I'm not so fond of either Apple or Windows 8.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I would say get yourself a new battery. If you got 3 years use out of it your doing well:)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite C655 series laptop?

There should be a dash and additional numbers and letters after C655.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Some times all one needs to is unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice