1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battery plugged in/not charging and then "no battery is detected"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wearethefighters, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wearethefighters

wearethefighters Thread Starter

Hi there! I've been having a problem with my charger for a while now but it wasn't serious until recently. A month or two ago, my charger went from working completely normally to suddenly not being recognised. This wasn't a big deal, however, because by holding the charger a certain way to the left (kind of twisted) or bringing it underneath the laptop, it would charge like normally. For the past few weeks, however, a notice has been popping up saying

"The AC power adaptor type can not be determined" and then that follows up with a message underneath that stating that I should use a dell charger (this is the original dell charger we got with the laptop)"

This message however didn't matter back then because, by twisting the charger a bit, it would charge and so the message was irrelevant and would only pop up when the charger was plugged in and not twisted (as far as I can remember)

Over the past couple of days, though, i've noticed for my battery sign to sometimes randomly change to an X and, when you hover over it, it says "no battery detected." It will then randomly, a second or two or a few minutes later switch to "plugged in, not charging" and then to "plugged in, charging"; fluctuating randomly and for different intervals of time between these signs. This as well wasn't much of a problem as my laptop was still charging at times and therefore I knew it wouldn't run out.

Now, however, the "plugged in, charging" has completely disappeared and it fluctuates between "plugged in, not charging" and "battery not detected"

My charge at the moment is on 12% so i'm getting worried. Ofc when the charger isn't held/positioned a certain way, it still doest recognise it and therefore works as it normally would without a charger, the charge decreasing.

Do you possible know why this could be happening?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8090 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 226675 MB, Free - 113172 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0698G0
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

What is the exact model of Dell laptop you have? Look underneath on the label for Model information

For Dells of that time period, you must use a genuine Dell replacement AC adapter or you will get the reduced performance at startup message.... the Dell adapters so I have read, have a chip inside that informs the BIOS of the laptop that they are indeed, genuine Dell adapters.

Read about this issue here- and especially about the little test you can do before your power is all gone- you should do it just once, and I think you will get the "Unknown" message....

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

Note that there is more than just one thing that can be wrong- the motherboard, the adapter chip, the power jack.... Please do NOT attempt the adapter repair at that site.... The power jacks can be replaced by a good repair shop that does soldering on motherboards.

test yours and if you do need a Dell AC adapter they can still be found but it does take some hunting since a LOT of helpful sales sites claim "Genuine Dell Replacements" but I have tried some of those and they did not work but when a real Dell AC adapter was connected, that BIOS message disappeared.

look on the label of the LAPTOP and see what AC Adapter watt rating ....ex: 65watt or 90w..... yours calls for and purchase the correct model.

I can help you find a genuine Dell if needed but test things first. Hope you can do this before the battery is all gone.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 7437 14" laptop.

It's obvious from your comments that there's damage to the power adapter or the charging port or both.

Unless that laptop is still under warranty, you might want to have a reputable computer shop look at it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. MaverickWolfe

MaverickWolfe

And this is one of the biggest reasons I tell people to stay away from Dell laptops, Frank and Bill, are right that's definitely are charger or charging port issue. If it's not still under warranty then get it done professionally by someone who knows how. I could easily do it but I'm not in your area.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice