1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillHates, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillHates

BillHates Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio laptop model PCG-FRV37. I sometimes like to unplug it from it's adapter and just roam. But the time it can survive without the adapter is around 15-20 minutes. Is there something wrong with that? Do I need a new battery for it to stay of the adapter longer?

2. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Has this problem suddenly occured or has it been gradual? Depending upon the battery , whether or not it is Li-Ion or earlier can vary the single charge lifespan. An average battery can roam for around 1 to 2 hours. (atleast my HP laptop will go about an hour.

You might be able to upgrade the battery. (OR)

You can limit the resources used on boot up and see if that will extend your roam time, but it sounds as if you could use a battery.

3. BillHates

BillHates Thread Starter

No it always been like that since I can remember. Is that rare or not normal?

4. gollum456

gollum456

couple of things that you should remember with a battery is if you are continually plugged into the mains you should remove the battery altogether. also it is wise to store the battery fully charged. also a battery should be periodically fully drained and fully recharged.
    i take these precautions with ALL my rechargeable devices and i always semm to get good battery life.
    to answer your question though, that does sound low as i have an acer laptop which is notorious for poor battery life, (its a desktop replacement more than a laptop) yet i'm able to achieve well over an hour of battery time.
    obviously not running something like video conversion though.

5. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Another thing I just thought of:

From an electronic devices first charge, the consumer is asked to completely charge the battery before using the battery in the device. If the battery is used partially charged for the first time, it may shorten the charge life for that battery.

6. BillHates

BillHates Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I was wondering how much would it cost to get a new battery? And if I get one will it be chargeable like the one I have? Is there a way to test the battery?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Probably between $50-95 and most people make the mistake of not running the battery down every so often so it may charge back up. That is what helps maintain the battery.

8. BillHates

BillHates Thread Starter

^Would it be too late to do that? This laptop was bought in 2001. My brother recently gave it to me because he moved in 2007.

9. gollum456

gollum456

Try it!!

i had mobile phone once that wouldn't hold a charge for more than 1 hr. i completely drained and recharged it several times and it seem to restore itself. since then i have always periodically drained and recharged ALL my mobile devices.

i even do my camera which is rarely used, but i still take it out once in a while to do this.

my father-in-law left his camera untouched for about 4 months and the battery died.
    so there is something in this

10. BillHates

BillHates Thread Starter

I will try it and see what happens. Thanks guys.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Unless the battery has been replaced once already, it's nearly 8 years old. Definitely time for a new one. If the battery pack is Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cad) or Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), a couple of full discharge/recharge cycles might add some life to it, but if it's Lithium Ion (LI) it won't. And the Sony website indicates this is a LI battery.

Sony has recalled some LI batteries, so uyu may want to check here to make sure the battery isn't affected by this recall. If it is, you may be able to get a free replacement.
    http://esupport.sony.com/perl/compatibility.pl?&comp_project_id=7&mdl=PCGFRV37

Some general battery info:

Lithium Ion (LI) batteries should NOT be stored fully charged. They will fair better if stored at 40%-60% charge. Same is true of Ni-HM batteries.

Unlike Ni-cad batteries, LI batteries do not develop a memory if they are not fully discharged before recharging. Ni-MH batteries, while much less prone to developing a memory, do benefit from an occasional full discharge. Frequent deep discharge cycles will shorten the life of a Ni-MH battery though. It's recommended that Ni-Cad be fully discharged once a month, Ni-MH once every 3 months.

As fully discharging a LI cell will actually shorten it's life, LI battery packs have built-in circuitry to turn off the battery pack before any of the cells can be discharged too far. Fully discharging an LI battery probably won't hurt due to this circuitry, but is not needed on a frequent basis. It's only needed to re-calibrate external "Fuel Gauge" circuitry so that it will correctly report the batteries state of charge as the battery ages.

The life of a LI battery is based on age, not the number of charge/discharge cycles. They lose about 20% capacity per year at 25 degrees C (77 F) whether they are being used or not which is why they should be removed if the laptop is always plugged into AC power, as the temperature inside a laptop is usually much higher. Typical battery temperatures inside a laptop can be around 45 C (113 F), which can shorten the battery life to less than 18 months. Ni-MH is also adversely affected by heat, and should also be removed.

Downside of this is if the power goes out, the laptop turns off, so you'll lose any work you hadn't saved.

What I'd like to see is a way to remove the battery from the laptop but then connect it with a cable. This way the battery stays cooler, and is still connected in case the power goes out.

15-20 minutes on an 8 year old battery isn't bad. When my 1995 Toshiba battery was 8 years old, it had a life of about 30 seconds. Now that it's 13 years old it's down to about 5 seconds. A new battery is worth more than the laptop is, so it lives on AC only now.

Jerry

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice