1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SilverdudeOmni, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SilverdudeOmni

SilverdudeOmni Thread Starter

Ever since we came back from holiday, my Win 10, Asus laptop's battery has been acting strange.
    last time it was at 34%
    when we plugged in charger, turned it on at wall, laptop shut down, done all suggestions, including trying to recalibrate it and yet so far it's only reached 51% saying plugged in charging but it hasn't moved an inch and we even let it charge overnight, still nothing. I'm too scared to take it apart and see if it's the port or the battery at fault, when I last dicharged entirely it' managed to get to like 45% before plugging charger in and out would move it by 1% each time.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the battery internal or removal underneath the laptop? If it's not internal try to pop it out and then back in.

How old is the laptop? What is the exact model of the Asus laptop?

3. SilverdudeOmni

Asus g752vt, internal battery and had it since January 2016.
    Been getting conflicting suggestions since it was parents who put it in the main hold luggage. It goes up by 1per cent each time plugged in, still works when unplugged. Some say it was battery that was damaged in the hold, others say it's the charger.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's more lieky the battery then the charger. If you have a local computer shop take it there and they will likely have a compatible or universal charger that they can quickly test with, if it behaves the same then it's the battery and the battery will need to be replaced.

5. SilverdudeOmni

Thank you very much, will do, I am just taking the time to do as I was suggested and get stuff backed up, just in case the worst case happens.

6. SilverdudeOmni

New Update, it is now at 59% saying "plugged in, not charging" think this means it's definitely the battery and not the AC Jack or Charger?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's still most likely the battery.

8. SilverdudeOmni

Just found out it IS the battery BUT the replacement cost is gonna be £270 or $352 so as much as the 59% annoys me I think that I will wait until I have more money.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is that if you pay someone to do the replacement? The battery itself should be around £50. Find a guide on the internet and do it yourself, there's YouTube videos too.

10. SilverdudeOmni

yeah the store around the block from me said it'd be £168 to order it and then another £105 for labour costs. I took back the laptop after paying the 35 diagnostic, since I felt that was a ridiculous price to pay.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Whoa, find a new shop!

I had to find a battery for a laptop from 2011. The older the laptop, the harder it is to find a guaranteed replacement.
    Fortunately we have a chain called Batteries + Bulbs. I went there, they ordered a new replacement at a cost of about $70 (about £54). They installed it (no cost because it didn't have to be dismantled) and it was guaranteed for 1 year. After 3 weeks, it refused to charge. I took it back, they tested it and determined it was bad, ordered a new battery, replaced it when it came in and guaranteed that for a year. It's now been working for 20 months with no problems.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's unfortunate. I'd just do it yourself or if not at all possible find a cheaper shop, a quote from another shop should be free if they don't do any diagnostic work.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice