1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battery Question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by sckrem, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

I have this laptop A compaq V2000. Now it won't power up. The power light on the computer doesn't light up. When I put the battery charger on, the charging light doesn't show charging. So the battery no good I take it. Now even if I have the charger pluged in it still won't work because the battery is bad right? you need a good battery for charger to work correct?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sounds like it might be a bad power jack or bad AC adapter.
    Try to power it up on AC only.
    Remove the battery and plug the adapter in.
    If there is still nothing,try moving the connection at the laptop
    around a little.
    That may show if the power jack has come loose.

3. paisanol69

paisanol69

...the AC adaptor itself ( charging unit ) which may be why you have no lights at all showing, once the battery went completely dead. If you have a multi-meter, check the low voltage side of the charging unit with your meter ( plug for the laptop connection ), for the correct output voltage for the laptop!

Good luck!!!

4. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

The trouble is before this started when I pushed the power button on it would go off right away. When I plug the power cord in I need to wiggle it a little. Then it will charge for about a few minutes then stop. But after it stops charging if I wiggle the connector it won't come on unless I first unplug the connector from the computer then plug it back in wiggle it some then stays on for a few min.

thanks

5. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

the voltage is good arounf 19

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

STOP! You are risking destroying the laptop! You have a jack that has been disconnected from the MB. If it happens to short, which happens frequently when you "wiggle it around", you can have a genuine fire in there! Here's one that I replaced the MB on for a person, and I've seen several more of these with similar damage. Once this happens, you will require a new laptop, which is as expensive as a new laptop.

Attached Files:

7. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

I already checked the Jack out it seems pretty solid on the motheboard I can't move it

8. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

Ok now am in the process of repairing the Jack. I need to remove the screen to get it out of the way. Can someone tell me how the LCD cable come off the motherboard. Does it come stright up or there a clip holding it in place. I don't want to break anything.
    Thanks

9. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The LCD cables usually are flat ribbon cables that connect
    to a ZIF (zero insertion force) socket.
    Just above the cable there is a clip that slides out to release the cable.
    It may have a small tab on both sides.
    It slides out like a little drawer.
    Be careful sliding it out,they are easy to break.
    Once the clip is slid out,the cable should just release.

10. sckrem

sckrem Thread Starter

Thank you

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice