1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery recharging (myth or fact)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sajjadbaqir, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sajjadbaqir

sajjadbaqir Thread Starter

hello there. i don't know if this belongs in the hardware section but recently i have been hearing a lot about battery recharging. well obviously all the batteries in our phones, games etc. recharge but my question is should we drain the battery completely before recharging it again or should we just recharge it whenever we want to? plz i need this answer fast its causing havoc in my family.:eek:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A lot really depends on the type of Battery. NiCad batteries tend to develope a Memory if they are not Charged properly If you charge them after they have onloy had a short spell off the charger they will tend to last shorter period of times between charges.

LiIon batteries such as those for Laptops and Video Equipment do not suffer this problem and can be charged after a short usage period with no problem.

So the real answer is it depends on the battery.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do NOT totally discharge a Lithium battery, it normally destroys the battery. When the device that the Lithium battery is installed in powers down, it's time to recharge the battery. Lithium batteries also don't like deep discharge cycles.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

theres not a simple answer, different batteries require different care

NiMH batteries should be charged before completely drained
    NiCD batteries should be completely drained before charging to prevent the "memory effect"

edit - left out lithium but it looks like the faster typers beat me to it

5. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

It should be noted that, as with any piece of equipment, all batteries, regardless of quality, have a limited lifespan. This can be thousands of cycles, but that includes partial cycles. Also, one thing I can't help but point out: Cordless home phones are the worst. Ni-Cd packs recharged regularly. Eventually, you get a two-minute battery. Who thought up that one?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I should have added what JohnWill said. And yes Cordless Phone batteries are the worst. Even some Cell Phone Batteries will not last too long.

7. sajjadbaqir

ok i guess i should have been more specific. now lets talk about my new cordless phones i got for my home. they are from uniden. now if i take about the battery it reads " MODEL BT-446 Nickel Metal Hydride DC 3.6V 800mAH then all the warnings.... and Ni-MH" ok so all my phones have that. now how do i make them last long!

8. sajjadbaqir

and one more thing i have a samsung SPH-A90 cell phone. how do i make that one last long?

9. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

NiMH are okay.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just replaced a cordless phone battery here at home [uniden phone] It was all of $7 at a local battery store. It really is not worth worrying about; just get another battery when it will not hold a charge.

11. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

NiMH can take up to about 5 charge cycles before they can be fully charged. After that there should be no problems, they don't develop memories and should be charged before being fully depleted

FAQ - NiMH Rechargeble Batteries

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you completely discharge a NiCad battery Pack ....
    The stronger cells will reverse charge the weaker cells during the discharge ..
    And the cells REALLY don't like that.
    Multiply the number of Cell by 1.2 ... subtract 1.2 V ... and discharge to this voltage.

If this is something like a cordless phone .. Just turn on the phone and leave it.
    It will shut off before this reverse charging can happen.

There are better ways to erase a NiCads memory ... but it Must be done on each cell individually.
    Every couple of months .. if we're going to be gone a while ... our phones will be Busy (discharging)
    Even though I know how to do one cell at a time .. and have the tools ..
    I use Crjdriver's method... if the above isn't working anymore.

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, funny. I just had to buy a new battery for my cordless last week. The shocker of the deal was, the new battery was charged out of the pack. I guess they gave it a full charge at the factory before they sent it out which would make sense.

Using a battery before it has had a full charge on it will limit how far the charge can go. I don't understand it but if I buy anything rechargeable I listen to the instructions. If they say charge for 18 hours, I charge for 18 hours. I figure that is better than having a razor die at half shave.

14. sajjadbaqir

ok so wat i am getting for ALL! this is that my NiMH are OK! which means i can recharge it whenever i want to and don't have to worry about its life? correct?

15. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!