Battery Reset Button Stuck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xknickxknackx

Hello all. New poster here and i really need help with this issue since in out of warranty for this laptop.

I have an Acer Aspire E5-573G laptop and i noticed that it would always immediately shut off every time that i unplugged it from the wall outlet. upon further inspection (ie opening up the laptop and looking through it) i found that the battery reset button was permanently pressed down and there was no way to unstick it. what i was wondering was is it possible to just pop the button and its housing off completely and be able to use my laptop as normal without having to have it plugged in for the rest of its life or will this completely ruin my laptop. any little piece of advice helps. Thanks a lot in advance

With the laptop being out of warranty and you wanting to use it without being plugged in all the time, if using a paper clip in the battery reset pinhole yields no results, I would take it to a local repair shop and get an estimate on the repair.

xknickxknackx

Tried bringing the button up with a pin but no luck it's physically stuck down. What I'm wondering is can I just remove the entire button and be able to use my laptop without being plugged in

Tried bringing the button up with a pin but no luck it's physically stuck down. What I'm wondering is can I just remove the entire button and be able to use my laptop without being plugged in
You can do as you wish with your property, but I cannot professionally advise you to strip apart and tinker with the electronic components of your laptop, without knowing exactly what you are doing, and understanding that it could fry your computer if you get it wrong.

managed

Allan
I think that button resets the Cmos battery not the main battery, if so your main battery needs to be replaced because it no longer holds a charge.

A19121iE36CAB51249D7460.jpg From ACER "If your computer will not power on or your battery is behaving abnormally, try resetting the battery using the pinhole reset button. This process will temporarily disconnect and then reconnect the internal battery" Found picture, I could replace it if I had the part because the solder tabs are accessible. A shop could replace it. Don't know what would happen If you remove the switch. It is probably normally closed (Push to open battery connection) so you would need to solder jumpers if you couldn't get another switch to put in.

managed

Allan
View attachment 260985 From ACER "If your computer will not power on or your battery is behaving abnormally, try resetting the battery using the pinhole reset button. This process will temporarily disconnect and then reconnect the internal battery" Found picture, I could replace it if I had the part because the solder tabs are accessible. A shop could replace it. Don't know what would happen If you remove the switch. It is probably normally closed (Push to open battery connection) so you would need to solder jumpers if you couldn't get another switch to put in.
That does seem to be about the main battery. I suspect it resets the Cmos battery as well to cause a Cmos reset.
If I'm right and the reset button is stuck down the date and time should be reset to default values in the Bios and that should be testable by the OP.

That type of switch should stay 'up' if nothing is pressing it down, unless the small circular button on the switch itself is stuck down. If there's a mechanism above it that pushes it down and that is stuck it should be possible to unstick or even remove that.

xknickxknackx

That does seem to be about the main battery. I suspect it resets the Cmos battery as well to cause a Cmos reset.
If I'm right and the reset button is stuck down the date and time should be reset to default values in the Bios and that should be testable by the OP.

That type of switch should stay 'up' if nothing is pressing it down, unless the small circular button on the switch itself is stuck down. If there's a mechanism above it that pushes it down and that is stuck it should be possible to unstick or even remove that.
The button in the photo is exactly the one on my board. It's exactly like you said that the button itself if stuck down. I'd want to know if replacing or possibly even just removing this part would fix anything before replacing the battery. Currently the laptop only works when plugged into the wall. The second I unplug it it shuts down. Could this button possibly be the issue or is it 100% the battery and getting this part replaced or fixed would be redundant

managed

Allan
I don't know if it's the switch or the battery causing the problem.

What charge does the battery have when you click it's icon on the taskbar ?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online