Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery starts charging as soon as it drops to 99%

924 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
hello,

I have recently started using a new laptop and this is an assembled one, meaning that it is not manufactured by its seller.

My older laptop used to start charging when it dropped below 95%, which made me use the battery for 9 years with almost no problem. But this one (it is not removable) seems to start charging the battery even when it is 99% and always tends to make it 100%. I do not really want it to charge constantly like that. I want to set the same configuration I used in my old laptop but i don't seem to find such settings anywhere. There are three settings showing up when I click on the battery symbol below, and currently I am using the laptop with the recommended settings (power mode (plugged in): better performance)). I did look at advanced power settings, btw. Can you guys please show me a way to prevent that? Plus, would that harm the battery if it goes on to charge like this?

Your replies are much appreciated,

Thank you

#2 ·
With absolutely no information about the make/model of the laptop or the operating system in use, it's pretty hard to give specific advice.

#3 ·
First of, thank you for the reply.

And sorry, you are right. I am using Windows 10 Education 64-bit. I did every available update on Windows. As I said, it is an assembled one, so I drop these below hoping this could help:
  • Intel i7-10870H-2,20GHz
  • Nvidia RTX3060 Max-Performance 6GB GDDR6 192-Bit
  • 15,6" QHD 2560x1440 165Hz %100 sRGB IPS Mat LED Screen
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2933MHz
  • Mobile Intel® HM470 Chipset
  • Adapter 180W - 19.5V / 9.23A
  • Battery 4 Pin 46Wh
Under the battery tab in device manager I see two things: Microsoft AC adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.

If you need any more info I could look for it and send it here.

Thank you,

#6 ·
Batteries in this day in age will not fail quickly as people may believe, however leaving the computer in direct light, or leaving the computer on in a bag that will generate heat will certainly affect the computer. I have had users that had their computers for 4-5 years before the batteries fail so you should be fine.

#8 ·
I am currently using a laptop which I bought in August 2013. It is using the original battery and plugged in most of the time. (I pull the plugs on all the laptops when we are having thunderstorms.)
Just last night I wanted to check the battery so I ran the built in Windows powercfg. The battery is down to 36% of the charge it had originally. Not bad for 8 years!

If you don't want the battery to start charging at 99%, pull the plug and let it discharge to a % you are comfortable with then plug it in again.

#9 ·
Some laptops actually have a setting not to fully charge the battery. Since I've upgraded my somewhat aging Asus laptop from Win7 to Win10, I lost that feature, however the battery still charges. :) I got about five years out of the battery before I had to replace it. That was somewhat of a PITA as they didn't design it to be replaced by the end user, lots of screws later I finally got it swapped out. :D

https://www.alvareztg.com/laptop-battery-charging-tips-from-the-pros/

#11 ·
Yep, it's a bummer than all the cell phones are done the same way. At least I sort of understand the cellphones, given their drive to make them waterproof. However, the move to internal batteries for laptops annoys the hell out of me! :(

#12 ·
I just read a question today where someone asked why the battery won't charge beyond 79%.
The answer:
Apparently laptop makers are having charging stop at 80% so the battery lasts longer.
The person who answered showed his battery which is topped up at 79.99%.

My old Galaxy smartphone and both old laptops still have user replaceable batteries.

#13 ·
There's an option in the manufacturer's power utility to fully charge if you like, but the battery lasts longer if you don't charge it up to 100%.

My old Galaxy smartphone and both old laptops still have user replaceable batteries.
My laptop has a User Replaceable battery as long as the user has the right tools and knows how to take the laptop apart. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

My Galaxy S21 5G is sealed, no user access to anything inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.