1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery will no longer charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piringa, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

This is on a Dell Latitude C600.

The problem is that the battery suddenly just stopped working. It will no longer charge at all no matter how long I leave the computer on with the battery inside.

I know that when a battery is dying it will show it by not holding the charge for a long period of time. The problem here is that one day the laptop was working fine on the battery and then the next day it was completely dead. Which is odd because the battery is about 7 months old.

Any ideas?

I don't wanna spend money to fix the laptop because its just not worth it, this thing is old.
    Replacing a battery seems like a better idea because its only 30 or 40 bucks on ebay.

This is a dell battery that I bought from ebay about 7 months ago. The first battery slowly died but it still holds a 10 minute charge. I assumed all batteries crap out in this manner.

Also what is battery reconditioning and can that be done on the laptop itself or is that done with special hardware for charging and discharging batteries.

2. steven1350

steven1350

lmao. I have the exact same laptop, and its battery is toast. It had lost most of its battery capascity, and then the battery failed completly (was giving a warning pattern with the LEDs).

7 months is too short for a battery to crap out (unless you excessivly use it). Its possible that you bought a used battery.

3. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Somoma beeetch. Owell I guess I'll have to get one off ebay. Do you still use your old dell laptop?

4. steven1350

steven1350

too be honest, I dont use it much anymore (been replaced with a more modern one). My C600 isnt in great shape though. Some problems with the LCD (verticial line and at times becomes totally distorted), and there is no battery (just an empty casing).

5. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Would you consider parting it out or donating it for parts?

6. steven1350

steven1350

all depends i guess. What are looking for? My HD is also on its last legs I think. Very loud running noise, and I sounds like something is loose inside the drive.

However, CPU, mobo, CD Drive, Floppy Drive, LAN card are all in 100% working shape though.

7. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Yeah so is mine I backed it up and have a replacement ready and waiting for this one to crap out.

Actually one of my LCD hinges is broken. Too bad your LCD is in good shape right?
    I'm also looking for the speakers with or without the wiring harness.

8. geoffm

geoffm

Piringa.
    I think you need to check that the charging circuit is still working, do you still have the old battery, if so try it and see if there and sign of charging, you can replace the batteries inside the battery case if your that way inclined, all these batteries (laptops/power tools etc)have the same rechargeable units inside (there are several different sizes) and can be rebuilt.

9. steven1350

steven1350

My lcd is in pretty poor shape. It was the reason why I invested in a new laptop. And my speakers sound terrible. They work and get the job done for the most part.......but dollar store speakers have 10x better quality in terms of sound

10. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Hey geoffm I tried recharging my old battery and I got the same result. It being that it was giving me a solid green light on the laptop which means that the battery is fully charged but I know it is not because the old battery has not been used for months and it should be dead. How do I check to see if the charging circuit is working. By charging circuit what do you mean and is that on the laptop of inside the battery?

11. geoffm

geoffm

Piringa.
    How tech are you, can you solder,do you have a multimeter, the batteries, how are they assembled are there any screws. unfortunately there is no easy way to test a laptop battery without a special rig but if you are able the batteries can be repaired and it sounds like you have enough batteries to do it.

12. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

My brother has a soldering iron and led. So whats the next move? I have 2 batteries both will not charge at all the laptop says they are fully charged but they are not.

One old battery and one new battery that suddenly stopped working. Is the laptop at fault or the battery/ battery circuit?//?? I can build systems but dont ask me about irq addresses on boards or what all those chips do and how to tell when they are broken.

13. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Also please clarify on the charging circuit matter where is that located laptop board or inside the battery pack?

The battery is sonically welded so I would have to rip it up and glue it back together.

14. geoffm

geoffm

Changer circuit is located on the motherboard usually around the power input area, OK what you need to do is open the two battery cases as carefully as possible, inside you'll find a lot of small re-chargeable cells,
    it's good practis to take some digy photo's of the layout and assembly,get a meter and measure the voltage of each cell(you'll find some are flat with no voltage) you want to make a battery with the ones that have the highest voltage and discard the no voltage flat ones which requires cutting the straps so you can re-solder them together, any spare good ones keep cause you'll properly get another one go, tape the battery back together so you can open again.
    Done this many times with all sorts of batteries....works well.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!