1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery will not charge or hold charge?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by picosa922, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. picosa922

picosa922 Thread Starter

Hello fellow techies,
    I have a situation with my Compaq Evo N600c battery or something in that directions, so I need possible solutions. My laptop needs to be plugged in at all times, which makes it frustrating because its a portable laptop. If it becomes unplugged the laptop will turn off within 10 seconds flat. I fear that this will, if it hasnt already done so, mess up my electric circuits among other components. Can any of you suggest or recommend options I can use to diagnose the situation. I would like to find out what the problem is, whether I should buy a new battery or some component or prong that I need to replace? Thanks for the feed back!

Linda

2. Training

Training

Yup, sounds like a battery problem.

First, make sure the battery has a charge. Most laptop batteries have a button on them somewhere you can push that will give you the power level. Alternativly, there should be a utility in windows or the BIOS that will allow you to check the power level.

If the battery has no charge and isn't charging, then replace it with a known good one and see if it will charge up when the laptop is plugged in.

If the good battery won't charge up, then there is a problem with your motherboard.

If the battery has charge but won't power the system, then there is a problem with your motherboard too.

If this is the case, then the best you can do is contact the laptop manufacturer and get them to replace the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/283721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice