1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battery won't charge to 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by D2012, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D2012

D2012 Thread Starter

I have an acer laptop and it has been working great for the past year but now my battery won't charge to 100%. This only happened recently and my laptop is plugged in for awhile but it'll only read to 80%, 2 weeks later; 53% and now its only 28%. The thing is.. my laptop IS charged. when i unplug it, I get my usually lifespan of the battery before i have to plug it in again to recharge and it only charges to x% again. I've tried "draining" my battery and letting it charge again but it won't charge to 100%. Is there anything I can do to make my laptop read my battery correctly again. Thanks so much!

*I should add its an Acer Aspire with a 6-cell Li-ion battery and this is the only problem I've had thus far with my laptop :(

2. golddust

golddust

Up until a few months ago I had an Acer Extenza which I loved, but at about 2 1/2 years old it started having similar problems for a few months until the motherboard died. Hope you aren't in the same boat, but make sure your data is backed up just in case. If you took out an extended warranty, have it checked out.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Is it by chance in the 500 series?
    I have a 5738. I had this problem shortly after purchase. It was freely exchanged by Acer. But the problem persisted. Borowsing brought me countless suggestions which only gave me an "eye candy" answer,ie. A visual, but wrong reading. The only real confirmation I had, from several sources, was that it was caused by an (Acer) mismatch of an Intel chip on the motherboard. I did get the impression that the battery life was a little short. I gave it to my wife, as a sort of "portable" desktop, After about three years of use, it is still pumping away 100%, and still only showing 78% charge.

4. D2012

D2012 Thread Starter

It's an Acer Aspire 5551,,, as @davehc indicated my laptop is also charging perfectly but it's just the reading that is incorrect. Does anyone know of any programs or management programs i could uninstall and install again or.. is this something I'm going to have to deal with. It's really annoying when the charger is unplugged and you have no idea how much % is actually left thanks for the feedback:)

5. golddust

golddust

http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/index.html
    Battery Bar is a cool little tool that will monitor your battery charging activity. Tells you when you are charging and when on A/C. I found out that my battery wasn't charging properly because it kept switching from Charging to A/C. This prompted me to replace my charger, but apparently there were more issues going on as well in my case because it was only a temporary fix. Perhaps my defective charger caused other damage. Never will know.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice