1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battery wont charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asuss06, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

hi,
    my last battery for my HP pavillion dv5000 laptop wouldnt charge anymore, so i got a brand new one, only to find that THAT new one wont charge either. my computer is only 2 yrs old. does it sound like an internal problem that requires proper repair, or is there a setting i have to check or a formatting procedure i need to do? help! its so frustrating without a battery!

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

That sounds to me like the power lead and transformer are broken not the batteries not charging. You can check by doing the following:

Remove the battery from the laptop and insert the power lead ONLY and then try turning on the computer. If it turns on the lead works, if not then it is probably broken... let me know what happens :)

3. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

the computer turns on just fine without the battery and only the AC power line plugged in. So what exactly does that mean?

4. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

That means that the somewhere along the way power isn't getting to the battery... but it is getting to the computer. Does the battery show as 'charging' in windows under power in control panel.

5. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

no, the battery does not show as charging in the power options box in the control panel. its frozen at 2%. the little light in front of my computer is flashing though, but i guess that doesnt matter much now...

6. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

In that case it sounds like you need to send the laptop off for repair as somewhere along the way power isn't getting to the battery and I'm not sure you can fix that without replacing a component or two...

Is the laptop still under warranty?

7. HCD

HCD

I fixed 2 laptops last week with identical problem - hopefully the same as yours! with the battery in place - take the cover off the wireless card on the underneath of the laptop. Check that the two wires (black and white) are connected to the card - if not reaffix (can work loose over time). Take wireless card out (leaving 2 power connectors attached) - then power on. If this works turn laptop off and then reinsert card. It should boot up normally. If it doesn't work - take wireless card out and test power.
    Let me know how it goes

8. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

nope, that definately didnt work. and then i had to reconfigure a bunch of stuff to get my wireless working again. ahhhhh!!! i think im just going to bring it in and have a pro look at it and fix it. thanks everyone for your help anyway.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/727487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice