Battle Field

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrcobra

OK so I went out and purchased Battle Field 2, loaded the game and received an error. Something about vpu. I can get this if needed. Anyway on the box my system meets or esceeds the requirements of the video, so I thought. Box has "video card must have 128 mb or more memory and one of the following chipsets Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 or greater and ATI Radeon 8500 or greater"

Now I have the radeon 9250 256ddr and guess what ? the game will not run. It plays the intro video fine, which is awesome by the way then up pops the vpu error.

Now my dilemma is. I DO NOT HAVE an agp port available, this computer does not have an agp slot, I do however have the pci slots. I have been told that there are NO PCI video cards that battlefield 2 will support. SO as you can see I am need of assistance on this. I have already e-mailed EA games which makes Battle field 2 where I have NOT received a reply as of yet. Some how I have the feeling they are going to tell me that my video card is not supported. Hmm let's see, it said ATI Radeon 8500 or greater, isn't 9250 greater than the 8500 ? I guess someone counts backwards.

So is there anyone that can shed some light on this for me such as, 1) do they make pci video cards that are supported by battlefield2 and 2) is there anyway for me to get this game to run with my existing video card ?

thanks guys.

I hate to say it but I think your out of luck.

I just searched the supported cards and the 9250 is NOT one of them. EA's official site has all the cards that are supported and yours isn't there. To top it off your running PCI(not express) if I understand correctly which is probably slower then an AGP 8500. Sorry bro.

Not sure if this would work, but you could check out one of the X series PCI Express video cards made by ATI (most likely not the X300; I have that card and BF 2 runs slowly at times)
The X600 or X800 would be your best bet.

no offense or anything but its 2005 WHERES THE AGP?? and how do u have the min specs w/o and agp slot cuz it has to be at least 1.7 ghz and 512 ram.

Mrcobra

EasY_TargeT said:
no offense or anything but its 2005 WHERES THE AGP?? and how do u have the min specs w/o and agp slot cuz it has to be at least 1.7 ghz and 512 ram.
To answer your question. The computer is about 3 years old and it is a 2.5 GHZ with a standard 256 with another 256 added which when you add those up, is 512.

Next question !

pci slot? ok , first of all your card is not supported, secondly i dont know how did you get 9250 on pci , but on todays game market it is recommended an agp or pci-e cards, battlefield wont work. my friend got 9200 and the game wont run on his pc either, sorry man , you will have to replace your video card... but there is another problem, your motherboard wont fit to brand new agp or pci-e card you will get. sorry but your motherboard has to be replaced too.
good luck

Mrcobra

majordutch said:
pci slot? ok , first of all your card is not supported, secondly i dont know how did you get 9250 on pci , but on todays game market it is recommended an agp or pci-e cards, battlefield wont work. my friend got 9200 and the game wont run on his pc either, sorry man , you will have to replace your video card... but there is another problem, your motherboard wont fit to brand new agp or pci-e card you will get. sorry but your motherboard has to be replaced too.
good luck
As I said in my original post,Box has "video card must have 128 mb or more memory and one of the following chipsets Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 or greater and ATI Radeon 8500 or greater" So I assumed that since the 9250 is greater than the 8500, it would work, lol.

The radeon 9250 that I have is a pci and this mother board has 2 pci slots available, disabled the onboard video card and that's all.

I finally received the response that I was NOT looking for from EA games and they said, either a AGP or PCI E.....Does't say that on the box though, lol......

No worries, I was wanting a newer computer anyway so I can pass this one onto the kid, lol...

I ma new to online gaming and I have now learned to look at the exact specs ONLINE BEFORE I purchase a game, lol

Thanks guys

here are the supported graphics cards
- Video Cards
Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:
Radeon X700 (PCIe)
Radeon X600 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X800 PRO
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 8500 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
NVidia GeForce 6800
NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Series

so it looks like your card may not work .. but you can get the latest drivers for your graphics card here ..
www.ati.com
and remember you can see my signature to get the ati removal tool to rid of the old files left over when you remove the old drivers ..
hope this helps ..
BTW BF2 is the best FPS game i have played ..
i hope you get ot run it soon . youll love it ( i hope :S )

Mrcobra

I have the letest drivers for my card I was told to "Please download and install Catalyst 5.6." which I did and no luck.

I didn't know you had to remove the old driver for a video card ? I thought that the updated drivers just go over the old.....

When I checked the driver info I have this 6.14.10.6542

I've got a radeon 9250 256meg AGP, and I can't play it either. You can return your copy to EA for a full refund.

Mrcobra

kainy said:
I've got a radeon 9250 256meg AGP, and I can't play it either. You can return your copy to EA for a full refund.
How did you find this out and how do I go about doing it ? Why have they agreed to take it back ?

thanks

Mrcobra said:
How did you find this out and how do I go about doing it ? Why have they agreed to take it back ?

thanks
Probably because they were not specific enough on the box as to which cards are and are not supported.

Mrcobra said:

thanks
I e-mailed EA's tech support, and made note that there specs say 8500+ and I run a radeon 9250 in my machine. I'll post the e-mail next time I am at my home computer, but it was along the lines of "Stores will most likely not take back your game, but send us the retail copy along with bill and system specs(run dxdiag to get them yada yada), and we will refund your money.

i also just purchased battlefield 2, and when i went to install it, it works to a point, and then it says that the installation failed and i have to restart the installation proccess. when trying to toubleshoot this problem i check the disc for scratches, used a different drive, and closed all of my virus and adware programs but the problem still persisted. after reading the posts above, i read the list of video cards supported, and found that my card is a nvidia geforce fx go5200. is this video card capable of running this game or is this the reason for my problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online