1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battle Realms

Discussion in 'Games' started by WingRider, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I have Battle Realms, and have plaeyed it in the past with no errors. Since then, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. With the exception of the first time, I am unable to get sound in the game. I tried all the options the game has, no luck. Also, when I select quit, the game now goes to a black screen, and to get out of it, I have to reboot. Thank you in advance.

2. jerricho

jerricho

Just a simple question, do you install the game from a CD or from your hard disk?

3. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

The CD that it came on. Why do you ask?

4. jerricho

jerricho

Well,I thought if you install the game from your hard drive, there might be a possibility that some sound files are not being copied but this possibility is there also when you install the game from a CD. Is there any specific folder of sounds? If YES, then please check it is not empty

5. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

OK. I checked the sound folder in the Battle Realms directory. It has 411 MB worth of files, all in 8 different .h2o files (possibly because of Liquid Entertainment's part in the game). That doesn't seem to be the problem. I do appreciate the help, though. Please, don't stop. :)

6. jerricho

jerricho

Please let us know your Sound card details.

7. jerricho

jerricho

In the meantime, let me extract some quotes i found in the battle realm forum....

There have also been reports of sound problems, mostly concerning built-in sound cards, again, the solution to this is through updated motherboard drivers. In some cases though, reinstalling DirectX helps.

For Echo problems:

Set your Hardware Sound Acceleration level from Full to Standard.
    Left click “Start”
    Select “Run” , Type in “dxdiag”, without the quotes
    Select the “Sound” tab
    Under “DirectX Features”, set the Hardware Sound
    Select “Save All Information…” and exit the program.

Sound Echoes

Patch up to the latest sound and motherboard drivers. Another solution is to disable "Vsync" which can be found on your video card properties.

8. jerricho

jerricho

9. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

Well, I have this file handy because of an attempt in conjunction with UbiSoft to get my system working. I assume it would have all the information you might need about the sound. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll get it some other way.

Attached Files:

10. jerricho

jerricho

Apparently the file seems to be quite OK. But the line Inactive Sound Entries in Registry seems a bit confusing.

But did you try out the links I posted above?

11. jerricho

jerricho

Please do this....
    Click on Start > Run> Type dxdiag and over there click on "Save all information". it will be saved as a text file. Post the file as an attachment.

12. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

OK. That would be what that file was. I can explain the sound thing, though. When I ran it, my media player was running, and it doesn't seem to like other programs messing with it. I just ran dxdiag with that off, and it worked fine. And I looked at all three of those links. While they seem to be the same problem, no one really suggested anything in any of them that would help, aside from the quote that was in your earlier post, which, by the way, I have done, with no success in solving the problem.

I just noticed something. dxdiag claims I have only 6 MB of Vidoe Memory. However, I ran Dr. Hardware, which says I have substantially more. Could this have something to do with this?

13. jerricho

jerricho

Another point to note !!!
    But I guess video memory problem genrally doesn't mess with audio problem.
    Did you test all your sound options in dxdiag?
    What is your sound card name and version?

14. WingRider

WingRider Thread Starter

I tested everything in dxdiag, and it had no problems, although it said "Your card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers."

The sound card is an ESS SOLO-1 PCI AudioDrive, and dxdiag tells me that the version is 4.05.00.1116. I will look for an update to that, in case that is the problem.

Thanks again for helping so much, by the way. The Ubi-Soft people claim that they can't help me at all (after giving no help whatsoever). So, thank you.

Update: I updated my sound drivers, according to which ones the Compaq site told me I needed. The version is now 5.12.01.3047. However, when I try to run BR now, it starts up, dings loudly, and kicks me out of the program, saying "Error : Sound initialization failed" and kicks me out of the program. Note it dinged - I still have sound normally. I think I might try a full reinstall of the game, to see if its not detecting the new driver (completely different file name).

Update #2: I reinstalled BR on my computer. It still does the same thing. (Ding, Error, Booted)

15. sur_sen

sur_sen

Hello People...
    I having a lot of trouble running battle realms recently.

i had an old sis6326 graphics card and i recently updated to a Geforce2 Mx400 graphics card.

my problem is that whenever i click on battle realms i get a blank screen saying 'couldnt find supported display mode' and am thrown back out.

please help!!
    (ps ive already checked everything at the game developers site and it was not much help... all they say is that get new latest drivers... but i have the latest drivers and also directx9.0b ... but still help ... please :( :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!