1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battlefield 2 solution suggested to me

Discussion in 'Games' started by darthpaul, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darthpaul

darthpaul Thread Starter

my friend told me that i should turn my video card down from 8x to 4x to make battlefield work. how do i do that? i looked at my BIOS but i couldnt find it. would it work anyway? why can the PCI version of my card work with battlefield but my AGP cant.

2. saltydawgs

saltydawgs Account Closed

nvidia or ati? (ALL DONE ON XP)

if nvidia (might work for both though) go to control panel, click on appearance, click display, click settings, click advanced - this should open up your video cards control panel, then go to anti-anailising + antistrophic filtering where you can then change it to 8x 4x or 2x

3. saltydawgs

OOOOOO your talking about speed 4x/8x

you cannot change this, 8x comes with a higher priced card

your PCI probably only works because PCI is faster

4. darthpaul

darthpaul Thread Starter

i cant change my AGP speed? i was told that i could do it in the BIOS, but my intel BIOS doesnt have a section on changing AGP speed.

5. GripS

GripS

Yes you certainly can change your AGP speed. With ATI video cards there is a 'SmartGart' tab in the advanced display settings and it allows adjustment of AGP speed. I'm not sure if Nvidia has this feature as well but i'm betting you can find it in the advanced display settings or with some Nvidia forceware utilities. Also this may be done in the BIOS.

edit: You may be using a proprietary board from a mass produced company like Dell, Gateway, Compaq. These BIOS's are often stripped down of options that might cause instablility/damage.

6. saltydawgs

i never knew that (NVIDIA does not have an option of changing speed anywhere) + my bios is stripped down extraordinarly...well i guess you learn something new everyday

7. GripS

GripS

Check midway down on this page:Nvidia Forceware System utility settings .

I'm suprised that this option is not part of the standard display drivers like it is with ATI. But it is there if you download the forceware system utility.

8. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

What happens when you try to fire up bf2?

9. Mayor Quimby

Mayor Quimby

bf2 works with agp card but it has to be direct x 9 generation card. An example would be ati radeon 9800 which is direct x 9 generation.

10. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

not true quimby, i have a radeon 8500 dv, i don't have problems w/ bf2

11. darthpaul

darthpaul Thread Starter

when i start up bf2. it goes to a black screen, then crashes back to desktop. i know my card can and should work. even though its not on the list of cards i know people who have gotten it to work.

12. darthpaul

darthpaul Thread Starter

will forceware work with my motherboard?

13. GripS

GripS

I don't know what i was thinking with forceware system utility. That would be only for nvidia chipset motherboards which i believe Nvidia has only recently developed chipsets for intel. Sorry to have led you down the wrong path there. I still believe you should be able to change your AGP setting in the BIOS. I just checked on my old intel based machine from gateway and it has the option even though it's stripped of all overclocking options.

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!