1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

battlefield 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by kissflysky, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kissflysky

kissflysky Thread Starter

I have a pc I want to put to use, so I installed bf2 on it, runs on low settings and lags a bit in 64 player games but is usually fine in 32, so im wondering, will increasing memory get rid of the lag? or a new video card?

2. ben101

ben101

Try playing it offline. If it still lags, then upgrading your video card and/or RAM would help. If it doesnt lag offline, then it is your internet connection.

Do you knoq what video card you have a tthe moment, or how much RAM you currently have? That would help.

3. kissflysky

well I think my internet connection is fine, so ill try upgrading my ram, I either have 1 or 2 gigs.... im not sure if there is a way to check, but probably 1.

4. ben101

ben101

well i have 512mb RAM and it isnt normally that laggy, so i would check what graphics card you have.

to check RAM, just go to control panel --> perfomance and matienance (new control panel only -->system then it should say how much RAM you have. Theres probably easier ways, but i dont know them.

im not sure about checking yourn graphics card, but try this. Go to System again and click on the Hardware tab at the top, then Device manager. Then click on Display Adapters. It works for me, just try it and post back.

5. Kramer55

Kramer55

What are your other system specs?

More RAM will most likely help, but the performance also depends on your CPU and video card.

6. kissflysky

well right now i have a ATI radeon 9xxx, 512 mb ram

7. Kramer55

Kramer55

The 9xxx doesn't really help.

Is it a 9000 or a 9800? That will make a tremendous difference in gameplay.

8. ben101

ben101

it could also be a 9500 or a 9250.

And more RAM would be a good idea. 512mb is alright on all low settings, but for better graphics or better gameplay on low graphics, upgrading your RAM to at least 1gb will help.

9. Obligatory

Obligatory

BTW! If you don't know what graphics card you have, simply run DXDIAG in "run".

You should have that o_o

10. GripS

GripS

Battlefield 2 is a ram hog. If your running 1 gb or less upgrading to 2gb will definitely help. If your already running 2gb of ram then a video card upgrade would be in order.

11. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

the game needs at least 2.6GHz to handle a 64 player server

the more players in a server, the higher the CPU demand is.

the game also wants 1GB memory and if you want to have the texture on high, 1.5GB memory is needed.

remember, even if a player isint in your vier, your pc is tracking every movement each player is making (some people exploit this by debuging the bf2.exe file to slow all info that the pc is reading (also ='s to you seeing every enemy on the map) you know a player has done a map hack when you see them knowing any location your hiding at and if they get disconnected after 5 minutes and get a permanent hardware ban from all punk buster games.

also, to reduce lag on full servers, this works great.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;331796

12. kamikazekillazzz

kamikazekillazzz

I have an excellent computer that is not the problem i have had bf2 on their before and all of a sudden it started to lag or like when i play the game its not quick it goes slow motion ive downloaded it over because maybe that could be the problem but no help /so could you maybe

13. GripS

GripS

Are you talking about the demo? As far as i know the only way to get the full version is to go out and buy it.

If you downloaded the full version i am speculating that you have a ripped copy in which you will get no help here.

14. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

15. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

512 RAM is very little when it comes to this game. I have 1 gig, it plays pretty well, but most BF2 users suggest 2 gigs. Like it was already said, BF2 is a RAM hog.

I would upgrade to atleast 1 gig of RAM, so add another 512 mb if you can afford it and you should be good to go.

Your CPU is not that bad, and upgrading TO 1 gig would help reduce any choppiness and significantly speed loading (not verifying client data) times.

What is your video card SPECIFICALLY? A Radeon 9xxx won't really help. A 9250 is different from a 9800.

Please create your own thread for your issue. It gets confusing when people hijack the topic and throw their problem into it. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!