1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battlefield Crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by dipstick01, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dipstick01

dipstick01 Thread Starter

Hi All,
    Just a quick note as this seems to be a widepread problem and "hopefully" I have found the fix.

After an upgrade and reformat I had to reinstall Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, Desert Combat and Secret Weapons of War. As you can tell i like the game lol.

Everytime I tried playing the game it randomly crashed to the desktop, I updated the drivers fro my new ATI card, Updated bios and drivers for everything I could find to no avail till finally I realised I could play single player games but as soon as I tried going inot online play I got the mysterious crashes again. Finally in desperation I tried updating Punkbuster from evenbalance.com and lo and behold I have just finished a couple of rounds of Vietnam, 1942 and Desert Combat.

It appears that punkbuster also needs to be updated and they provide a handy little tool that does it for you.

Good Luck and good playing guys.

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yes pbweb helps, though pb should autoupdate.

3. dipstick01

dipstick01 Thread Starter

Yes pb should autoupdate however it appears that firewalls etc can block the autoupdating feature and hence the need to manually update.

I still can't understand why having an out of date version of PB kept crashing the games to desktop though.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

It causes lots of lag when getting kicked from a server.

5. theseif

theseif

Just a note on this, another thing that will take you to the desktop in MP is if you have the wrong internet connection type set on the games browser page.
    And not all servers are correctly setup to auto update PB. I usually play on EA's public servers where I have no problems with PB. But I have had to use pbweb on a few clan servers. There are also ways to set up a new PB config file so It scans and updates differently and more quickly thereby greatly reducing the lag it causes ingame while running.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice