1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Battlefield Vietnam and the sad boy

Discussion in 'Games' started by bbrifle, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbrifle

bbrifle Thread Starter

Hello. Before I get to my problem I'd like to say hello to everyone here and to thank those who reply in advance for their assistance. Okay, now for the problem.

I have recently purchased a copy of Battlefield Vietnam, but it is not running well. If you are familiar with the game, you know there are a lot of lush details and the game is something that makes the eyes happy. Knowing my computer should be able to run the game with everything on the "highest" setting, I attempted to play. Well, the game played very poorly. There was about a .5-2 second lag between any input to it actually being performed. The problem seemed to be worse when there were more things going on (more characters, vehicles, trees, grass, etc.).

Now for what I have done:

-I first contacted by computer's manufacturer, Alienware, in hopes that they could help. They basically told me to install new drivers, take off some level of hardware acceleration, and eventually flash the BIOS. This caused a considerable amount of trouble, as I was only about to run the computer in legacy mode under the BIOS driver options. Eventually I corrected this problem by flashing an older, but still more recent than the original BIOS.

-Since none of that worked, I figured a reformat would allow me to test the game in a more controlled environment. This was not too bad as I was planning to do so anyway.

-I then reinstalled all of the newest drivers and once again tried the game. No improvement.

-I then went to EAGames who only offered the suggestion of adding "Add game.soundbuffersize 400" into a file (which I did with no result), defragmenting the hard drive (I just reformatted so this would be pretty pointless), closing other programs running at the same time (none were running anyway), updating drivers (already done), and knocking down the graphics.

-I have even tried knocking down the graphics, but for it to be playable, the settings have to be set extremely low.

This is why I believe my computer should be able to run this game with the options on full:

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
    Video Driver : nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version : 6.14.10.5664

Sound Card : Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
    Sound Driver : ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version : 5.12.01.0253

Pentium 4 2.8 MHz

1024 MB RAM

120GB hard drive

(I also run windows XP)

This is what EA has as "Recommended for optimum performance":

2.0 Ghz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    Geforce 4 128 MB (Not MX) or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    512 Megabytes of RAM
    2 GB free hard drive space
    (additional space required for Windows swap-file and
    DirectX 9.0b installation)
    16x CD-ROM drive
    Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card

Please, back me up here and tell me what to do, or talk some sense into me as to why I should have to settle for this level of performance when I've seen it run better on another system that is worse than mine.

Thank you,

Brian

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Brian welcome to TSG and let me just complement you on the thorough explanation and post.

I honestly don't have a clue as to what is wrong, but it might be helpful to others to know one more thing. How does this system perform with respect to other demanding games?

3. urlstwohim

urlstwohim

Just built this computer to run this game my hard drive continually runs(Non stop flashing light) I can start the game but when i exit or try to change to another battle it freezes up-all other games(Diablo III,StarCraft Brood war,latest WarCraft run just fine!!!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. bbrifle

bbrifle Thread Starter

Well, I just reformated, but most other games run perfectly. Although I did have a similar problem with Halo.

Thanks for the link.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

One of the resolutions for HALO issues that seems to affect some BIOS/Video Card configurations is the aperture setting in the BIOS. If yours is set higher than 128 mb, you might try reducing it to see if it helps. See the [Resoved] Halo thread on this page.

http://forums.techguy.org/t202669/s.html

7. bbrifle

bbrifle Thread Starter

Thanks for the different tips, but still nothing. I knocked it down to 64mb and it's still running poorly. Keep the ideas coming.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Afraid I don't have much else for you. One thing you might try, if you haven't already, is toggling the Audio configuration between Software/3d and hardware acceleration. I'm sure my experience is probably different than others, but my Turtle Beach card just doesn't perform without glitches and the same level of quality in the hardware modes. For some it's the other way around.

9. bbrifle

bbrifle Thread Starter

::Update::

I have called EA who gave me only one suggestion outside of the simple tweaks they offer on their website. They told me that my problem may be that my video card was sharing an IRQ with something else, and when I checked it was.

So now here are my questions:

-Could this be causing my problem?
    -How do I change IRQs?
    -Alienware (my computer manufacturer) said they do not support such an action because it could seriously mess things up and so would void any warrenties. Are they right or should I try this?

Thank you in advance.

-Brian

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is it sharing with? My understanding is that in NT based systems this normally is not a serious issue. Changing them is very tricky without doing a complete reinstall. Alienware is right about that, it's not the same as in 9x based systems.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314068

If it is a non-essential device, or one you can temporarily do without, you can try disabling it through its Device Manager properties page for a test.

There is some discussion of the issue in this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/t128423&highlight=hal+xp+irq.html

11. bbrifle

bbrifle Thread Starter

Thanks, but your second link does not work.

My video card is sharing with the USB Universal Host Controller, and I'm not running a nt system, I want that card to give its all.

Anything else?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry about the bad link; I've edited it. "NT" is the underlying "core" of Windows NT/2k/XP.

You can't disable the host controller, and I really doubt the "sharing" there is a problem in itself.

What I do wonder, is if this is a Via controller, and you have formatted this system previously, have you reinstalled the Via Motherboard drivers for the ide drivers; this should be included in what is usually installed as the Via 4in1 driver set for Via based motherboards.

http://www.noticias3d.com/articulos/200109/4in1/1e.asp
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

13. boham78

boham78

I was having same graphics problems with the Geforce 4 ti4400. I have an asus P4S533-E motherboard that has an on-board soundcard. When I lowered the graphics, it still was still jumpy and had alot of lag. I found out that when I lowered the sound card settings to the lowest possible, I have no lag at all and I can run the game at 1152*864*[email protected] with no problems at all. I also updated Direct X to 9.0b. Hope that helps

14. boham78

boham78

Oh, I also wiped out windows messenger completely off my computer. It was running in the background taking some CPU time away. For any that want to know how to do this:
    1. Click Start - Run
    2. Type the following line

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

it will do the job

15. tywebb

tywebb

have you tried the 56.72 or 60.72 drivers for your video card? they might help. or maybe even the starstorm 56.72 drivers...

battlefield is a systems hog that rarely plays well on anyone's computer. why can i play far cry at high res with great fps, but battlefield: vietnam plays like crap? EA has made little improvement over bf 1942 (which, with all the mods, is a better game anyway).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice