1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BBC iPlayer Won't Work On Vista

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mainman, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mainman

Mainman Thread Starter

Hi, I need help on I think resetting something in the system as BBC iPlayer will download programmes but I can't play them - no sound or vision, just a black screen.

I had a PSW.Xvir trojan a couple of weeks ago that got through Norton 360 Ver.2. Norton help eventually cleaned out the PC after 4 hours remote control work. However, sincde then I can;t get the iPlayer downloads to play back and I had been using the site for months. I have unistalled/reinstalled a few times and re-set everything I know of, but to no avail.

Any clues on what to try to restore service would be great! I am using a Toshiba Satellite A200, Intel Dual Core T5250 running at 1.5GHz. OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.

One help site said to remove and reinstall KService and KHost in the services panel of Task Manager, could only find KService and not the other! Hope somebody can understand what I am saying!! Thanks - Mainman

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Looks like for some content you need RealPlayer, try reinstalling that.

OR:

For all the rest of the content you need Adobe Flash Player.
    Your Flash installation may be damaged. Go to Add & Remove Programs in the Control Panel and remove Adobe Flash Player. The use the Flash uninstaller utility from here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=2
    And finally reinstall it from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

3. Mainman

Mainman Thread Starter

Hi Triple6,

Thanks for you kind advice and for reading my plea for help! I tried what said and uninstalled Flash Player, re-started and then used the link to re-install it and re-started again. I then went into the BBC iPlayer programme and selected repair and it reinstalled all the files - but guess what? Just the same result - video window opens up but all I get is a black screen and no sound, even though the programme manager shows me that the programme is there.

Confusinglyh, I can view video on the BBC website while streaming, it's just playing back what's recorded.

By the way, where are you in Canada? I used to live in Port Elgin, Ontario when I was a teenager - best time of my life. Canada is a brilliant place!!

Thanks for any more advice you may have.

Martin

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm near Peterborough in Ontario.

Have you tried fully uninstalling the player?

Also when you uninstalled Flash did you also use teh Flash uninstaller in the link?

Also, that player may be what requires RealPlayer, so try uninstallign and reinstalling RealPlayer.

5. Mainman

Mainman Thread Starter

Hi again 666, I did all of the above and still no result. I am unable to go on-line with Real Player to finish the install - somehow it thinks I am not connected to the internet when in fact I am. Also, I have lost my administator rights and can't set my computer to receive Windows Auto Updates, this choice is greyed out. All of these issues have occurred since the trojan and the Norton remote help to fix the pc - I just want to know the best way to get help on-line to fix these faults, without having to take the PC into the store to be fixed. Any help again would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Martin

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to go the the Malware removal forum here to start a new thread and see if the if the malware issue was fully resolved. Here's where to go: http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/
    Please read the stickies, post a Hijackthis log, and mention that you had Symantec assistance for a virus and now you have some restrictions and WU does not work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice