1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BCM4318 driver installation, Device Not Ready

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by BarracudaAxel, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarracudaAxel

BarracudaAxel Thread Starter

Hello all, I have recently decided to dabble into linux again (9.10 to be precise). When I dual booted it on my PC I was having problems getting sound and nVidia drivers installed so I abandoned it, but now I have a full install on my laptop and it is working beautifully, except for my wireless card drivers. I have an integrated wireless card (BCM4318) and have already attempted to use ndiswrapper and finally got it installed properly, however now I can't find my drivers to run through. I am still grasping the concept of Linux's mostly text based UI and have probably not done something right. Can anyone help me get my wireless card running on my laptop?

John

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm understanding you to say that you have ndiswrapper installed, but cannot find a BCM4318 driver. Driver Guide claims to have one.

3. BarracudaAxel

4. BarracudaAxel

ok so I thought I had the drivers installed correctly, however when I view the wlan device under network tools, it shows its status as inactive. The command prompt had stated I had the drivers installed when I finished, any ideas?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably best to reboot first. Then, do you have some kind of (wireless) networking icon in the task bar? If so, see if the adapter is there. If it is you will probably be able to connect.

6. BarracudaAxel

When I select the wireless tab in the task bar it still says that the networks are disconnected.

7. cancon

cancon

If you can connect to the internet using ethernet then proceed with the following:

Open terminal, and type sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter bcmwl-kernel-source.

Restart your computer. Retry the wireless, if it's no go, try going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, and letting the system scan for drivers. If it comes up with a wireless/STA driver, enable it.

8. BarracudaAxel

"E: Couldn't find package b43-fwcutter"

This laptop is starting to make me highly perturbed. It did at least establish an internet connection when using the Ethernet cable to the router.

9. cancon

cancon

Make sure it's connected to the internet before you do this.

Open terminal and type sudo apt-get update.

Then re-run sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter bcmwl-kernel-source.

10. BarracudaAxel

Ok, well this time it did work and installed correctly. I restarted the system and installed the drivers that were not activated, but now a wireless connection option doesn't even appear in my task bar.

11. cancon

cancon

were you playing around with ndiswrapper earlier on?

Also, the hardware Drivers that you activated, what were they called?

12. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Have you gone to System/Hardware drivers?? In many cases, they need to be activated.

13. BarracudaAxel

"Software modem" is the name of the hardware driver that I activated in Hardware Drivers. I never had the chance to play around with ndiswrapper, I finally got it installed properly but never attempted to install the drivers with it.

14. cancon

cancon

You don't want "Software Modem". Providing you're connected to the internet before you first open Hardware Drivers, and you've installed the above two packages without error, you should get "Broadcom Wireless STA Driver", which you can then activate without problems.

Worked before with me on many 4318 laptops

15. BarracudaAxel

Tried your instructions again, but still only see the Software Modem under hardware drivers. Not sure why mine isn't working correclty

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!