1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bcod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computethis, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computethis

computethis Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've been getting some blue screen of death on my desktop. I have K8N neo4/nvidia nforce ultra/standard chipset board. 2.0 amd processor, 2gigs of mem(by valusmart or something odd like that), 160gigHD. Win Xp Home edition Service pack 2. Evega Nvidia geforce 4 6600 GT video card..

I recently had win xp media center in computer,and upgraded videocard to 7700 nvidia.. Was getting blue screen of deaths,upgraded drivers etc..and still got blue screen. So, decided just to format as I thought Id start out fresh.
    Well turns out my recovery disk was scratched to hell, and wouldnt upload all files,and I didnt have access to dvd burner to try to make a copy,and see. I ended up just installing win xp home,and reinstalling my old video card..
    That however didnt work and I still get blue screen of deaths mainly with these files: nv4_discp.dll/dxg.sys/and just recently NavEX15.sys ? not sure whats goin on. Reinstalled video drivers/dx9 files,and it still does it? this problem with chipset or memory/or HDD..or just with video card files???

Also been haveing trouble with norton,keeps askin to update virus all the time?I update and it wants to keep updating.

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds like your having a video driver attack!

Try running one or both of these RAM tests to eliminate memory as an issue:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/ (for at least two-three hours)

Both need to be downloaded and burned onto a CD for subsequent booting.
    Let us know the results......

You might also consider not using Norton branded software.
    Not only is it terribly implmented but it offers sub-standard protection to boot! ;)

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Most BSOD problems I see are due to bad hardware. I would swap the video card for another, at least temporarily, to eliminate it as the source.

BSODs can also be caused by read/write errors to a failing hard disk; but, I will admit that is a relatively rare occurrance.

Check your board's capacitors. ( http://www.badcaps.com/ident/ ) Clicking on the images there will display larger images for your inspection.

By the way, I like Norton Antivirus but not any of their other products. I'm still on the 2003 version and have no complaints. I don't think much of later versions. Norton Internet Security is a resource hog.

4. computethis

computethis Thread Starter

Ya, ive swaped out video cards. With same results..I tried using the memtest86/win but for some reason it wouldnt boot up to it. So I just used memtest,which runs from desktop,not sure how accurate it is compared to others.
    It found some errors on one memory module,tried my other mem,so far no errors. Only issue I have this memory is pretty new,and I bought it to replace my orignal mem sticks that had errors(guess i'll recheck those just to check. First when I had this issue I thought maybe I had a memory slot that was bad?? I ran test for maybe 20mins(as it told me to). I stoped when I got first set of errors(36errors after 10mins). Second,stick ran 20mins and no errors...
    I'll guess I'll go back just to 1gig mem..Speaking of which far as mem compatibility,are ya supposed to use same brand of mem for all slots or able to juse different brands long as its same type/bus speeds etc.....
    Ive done a check disk on HD,and it seem to be oky.

Far as video card. what advice is there to let video card do its job,and not suck resources from computer. Im gonna let computer run all night like I usuallly do(online game thing).see if I wake up to it with a blue screen.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice