1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Be very careful when recovering lost files.......

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Zygmo, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

on Windows 10. It will eventually force an update when doing a deep scan for lost files on the C drive. When that happens, a program that can take 5 to 7 hours to run will be interrupted and at least some of those files will be overwritten. Just removing the computer from the internet won't necessarily work because the update may already to downloaded. I would recommend relocating the drive to a previous windows version to use a recovery program.

That, and the many other problems is causing me to just give up on Win 10. I have been using it since beta-testing, and the latest major updates just create more problems to fix. The latest one caused Win10 to decide I was not who I say I am, and won't let me open my email. It doesn't like my VPN. It said that Atube Catcher is a virus, and won't let it run. And don't get me started on the actual viruses! It also deleted (!!!) some freeware from Gizmo's off two of my USBs. Since that happened, I have been using CDs to load programs onto Win10.

I have always thought that Win7, and for it's time (and quite a while past) WinXP were the best Windows OSes. After beta testing, I had high hopes for Win10 joining that group. Now, IMHO, I don't think there is any question that Win7 is still the best. I'm going back to it for my main OS.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Just got changed over to a new windows 10 computer here at work. Yesterday had something weird happen, I have two screens and I had outlook open on one and internet explorer open on the other one. I closed internet explorer on my left screen and all my icons were gone, nothing but a mouse pointer. I closed outlook on my right screen and it was black also. I hit escape, nothing, windows key, nothing. Finally hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and was able to log off with task manager. After I logged back on and every thing was back?? Humph, Windows 10

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    FYI, you should always move a hard drive you are trying to do data recovery from to another system and never do recoveries on a running OS drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice