1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beating the Hornets Nest

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Stoner, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stoner

Stoner Banned Thread Starter

If I put a smillie up above,would any one read this? :) (rehtorical question)

The thread 'Huh!' turned into a apparant mass of turmoil, where my concerns never were ackknowledged , even by the moderator that previuosly voiced thoughts and actions that I supported.

I've left two threads, one that still bothers me in it's original form and 'Huh!'.
    I left "Huh!' because of the unnecessary tension it was causing the community. I left the former (after 3 or 4 posts) more for my own peace- but also for the community.

So what! I'm the focus of humor now in that second thread. I don't expect anything less.
    This is my point I was trying to get accross in "Huh!' When does a person walk away?
    When do words become the stick to beat the hornets nest. Toss in language and cultural barriers and you beat that nest with a short stick.

Flack me, flame me,joke about it all you want. I can take it, and some of it is amusing. Intentionly miss quote me, fabricate my intensions,it will probably set me off with serious topics.
    One thing you will NEVER,NEVER see from me is a deletion of a post without an edit like I saw towards the end of 'Huh!' I read it. My words stand, and yes, I will stand corrected when need be.

So, I throw out the topic of discussion, beating the Hornet's nest VS walking away. When do you think it's best to walk away?

2. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Looks like you haven't walked away, but want to "stir that hornets nest" STILL. I deleted my own post last night, because I have the right to do that. However, I did leave it there long enough for the Mulderator to read it, Hewee to read it, YOU to read it, and whomever else to read it, before I trashed it. I don't get hot under the collar very often Mr Stone, but talk about the mis-use of words, and innuendos mingled throughout your own replies to some of us, I got bent.
    You continue to bash a thread in this forum, that just the sight of it on page one bothers you... well ppfffffttttttt.... too bad. This is a free country, and thanks to you, I will uphold what I believe in now, with even a greater force. :)
    As I stated last night (in my deleted post)... enjoy yer stay here in Random, but don't forget to leave your ego at the door when you enter...

TaTaForNow...
    Kath

3. valley

valley

stoner.....I didnt read the Huh thread last night. You can ask Jonesie..I had other things on my mind last night and I wasnt doing much reading until late....and then I stuck to the evolution thread and posted some one-liners about spam. It wasnt to make fun of your specifically. I would not intentionally hurt your feelings for anything, no matter what you think of my beliefs and I do apologize if I have done that.

I did not understand that you were serious in your disapproval of the thread, but thought you were just throwing out a casual comment in the earlier post. My post to you this morning was in all seriousness.

can you please tell me why the thread bothers you so much. I'd like to understand what it is that bothers you. I really dont think it can be considered spam though. It might offend some people but its not disrupting TSG.

take care
    valley

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Lets say I like apples…they are so good and I really love them !

Then I meet you and we discover that you really like Oranges, are passionate about them in fact !

So we talk, and I tell you to try a apple they are much better than oranges..you however know what you like and respectfully decline, suggesting that I instead try a big juicy orange.

At this point, we should quit discussing apples and oranges, and discuss other fruits in the orchard, as we both know what we want when it comes to favorite fruits !

I am not wrong because I like apples, you are not wrong because you like oranges, so, it’s just the way it is.

Three things I don’t discuss at this forum Religion, Politics and Morals, we all have our own beliefs on these subjects, and they are our apples and oranges.

I try to have fun here and joke with the members, occasionally I will post a opinion, but when things turn ugly, I usually just go away, and take my apple with me !

I think we are all better off discussing the other fruits :)

I hope you all take this as I mean it, just agree to disagree and move on, this thread, nor" Huh.." are serving a USEFUL purpose anymore ! :( ...Rhett

5. Stoner

Jonesiegirl:

That deleted post is what I'm talking about in this thread. When does a person stop their tirade? Did you choose that moment and recant, or just because it looked like a poor position to take? I've tried to keep personal attacks out of the forum, but I see this from you:"enjoy yer stay here in Random, but don't forget to leave your ego at the door when you enter... " I viewed this with your contempt of me.

I put this thread out as a discussion of how to judge when participation becomes destructive and how we can agree to tolerable levels of disagreement. Call it the walkaway factor.

So, what do you think?

6. Stoner

Hi Rhettman5.1:

I can agree with everything except

"I hope you all take this as I mean it, just agree to disagree and move on, this thread, nor" Huh.." are serving a USEFUL purpose anymore ! ...Rhett"

I think it's timely because of the way the forum reacted during the 'attack' and the way comments were percieved in 'Huh!'

7. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Ok Mr Stone... I'm gonna make one last attempt here, and then take The Rhettmans advice, and yours, and walk away.
    I know my deleted post is what you were referring to. And as I stated in that deleted post that I was "most likely too tired to even be responding", which indeed is/was the case. I don't consider it a "tirade" on my part, nor do I consider it a ...
    Also...my meaning of this...
    ... is simply as Rhett says, if you don't like our apples (or oranges), then so be it, you don't have to like them, but to go on, and on about your distaste in the evolution-vs-creation thread, is where your "ego" comes in. JUST WALK AWAY, Mr Stone. :)
    Do I, feel...
    No, I don't.
    Now, I hope I've answered your question...
    In closing, I reiterate, enjoy yer stay here in Random... for I shall do the same. :)

Kath

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

I read these types of threads occassionally only for there entertainment value...and I might add there has been some great entertainment :) ...Rhett's post sums it up perfectly at this point... The "Huh" thread and this one had not much real value to begin with and certainly have none now.

my 2¢...I'll go back to the entertainment now

buck

9. Stoner

valley20:

I listed my issues in your thread. Now it's a moot issue. It appears the fundamentalist movement in Ohio will not succeed in legaly claiming Creation to be the Science of Creationism, mandating the legal conversion of public school children to a religion other than of free choice. Reversing roles, would you strenuosly opose me forcing your children, by manipulating the Law to be Methodist? I think you would defend the right to choose your conscience.

I had to walk away from that thread, mostly for myself.

So, I think its pertinente to talk about how we talk to each other, are there limits of subject matter, how do we communicate with cultures we don't understand( Italians for some reason come to mind :) )

So, what's you thought's on the topic?

10. jimi

jimi

hey Rhett stop yapping 'bout me

it seems the cantaloupes didn't have a very good growing season as the skins are getting a bit thin.

this isn't an attack peeps - it's a joke - sort of - get a grip people we are on-line in a dynamic virtual playground, debate society, dear abby column. share your thoughts, voice you opinions, give more than you get, and most importantly enjoy each others company, with respect!!!!

btw i just love the fact that the new member - JJJecj71 - is sorry he/she believes in god/GOD (not wanting to offend anyone here) this should be good - is god/GOD male, female, or gender neutral?
    this may be another thread but i can't help from stirring the pot, hitting the hive or kicking moldy's sorry arse

11. Stoner

Jonesiegirl:

This is what I'm talking about! That's what I percieved.
    I'm trying to start a dialog on how to ease miscoceptions.

What do we do the next time we meet someone and the languages are too different and cause wrong impressions?

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Stoner, I think you are still missing the point. What happened with the Italian threads had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with a misconception or a language problem or the "wrong impression". That's the problem. There were plenty of Italian posts here that went uncensored for months until pictures of half-naked women started appearning. Warnings were made, it continued the user was banned.

Then, this forum was flooded deliberately with nonsensical posts in Italian. I closed them on the basis that I couldn't understand the purpose of them (they were in Italian) and it appeared as though they were there just for the purpose of flooding. They then started the same thing in broken English--flooding the site with nonsensical gibberish.

Would you please try and understand one thing. There WAS NO MISINTERPRETATION and this had nothing to do with posts being made in Italian. Rules were broken and users accounts were closed. Period, end of story.

Honestly, the only misconceptions in the whole thing was Carrie's misconception, which I admitted from the outset was mainly my fault. I'm not sure what your take on the whole thing was.

Finally, I apologize if there were any jokes I made that offended you.

I think this is at the point of beating a dead horse.

13. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

*Sigh* ... Please Mr Stone, don't make me the focus of your concerns as to how to handle whatever happens next. I don't have any answers for you... hopefully someone will come along who can answer your last post for you. :)

14. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Stoner: I find it a tad hard to figure out what the heck your motives are or why you say the things you do or anything about you. Are we all supposed to just agree with you and you alone and watch what we say so as not to beat the hornet's nest you're apparently starting? It really stinks having to try to appease you and say what you want us to say. You say you're finished with the evolution thread....yet you once again post an opinion about it in this thread. I find jimi's reply amusing and a breath of fresh air compared to what you have to say. And I'm not usually one to voice an opinion such as this...but you take the cake! No offense. I'm just providing dialogue so you can knock me yet again. Point is go right ahead! angel

P.S.-I gave Hewee the name "Random People Pleaser".....he is the epitome of what a good and decent man is. :)

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Let's not make this a jump on Stoner thread. He feels he has been wrongly interpreted and judged and he may be correct on that issue and he deserves respect and the opportunity to voice his opinion.

I re-read your posts Stoner and I realized that some of what you "quoted" appears to be your own words. I think that may be the problem here. In the future, try using the [ quote ] [ /quote ] symbls (without the spaces) when you are quoting someone. As here:

I think that you are correct that you have been misunderstood (at least I know now that I mistook quotes as your own words), but I also think others may have a valid reason to have misunderstood you because of the way you've quoted in your posts. Go back and look at your posts in the "Huh" thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice