1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

becoming administrator

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by deanercan, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deanercan

deanercan Thread Starter

windows 10- I am the owner of my pc but cannot upgrade programs or download software without being an administrator with privileges. I have tried enabling the hidden administrator account and followed all directions with no success. I have also tried becoming the only administrator but it appears if i want to name myself as am administrator I have to be one. Can this be that tough? Plz help

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

What, precisely, did you try to activate the Workstation Administrator account?

Does anyone else have access to the PC who has Administrator rights on it?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When your account was made, it was not set up as an Admin.
    So you need to get to where you can log in to the Administrator account and then change your account to Admin type.

4. deanercan

deanercan Thread Starter

no I am the pc owner and just want to be able to download software,etc

5. deanercan

deanercan Thread Starter

Where would that be-everytime i try to log in to administrator acct it says i need to be an administrator to do so

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You didn't answer the first question, though; this one: What, precisely, did you try to activate the Workstation Administrator account?

7. deanercan

deanercan Thread Starter

i dont know if it is a workstation account,but in trying to enable the hidden administrator account, I have tried using command prompt then typing netuseradministrator/active:yes-both with and without parenthesis and I get a reply that system cannot find the path-net user not recognized- comes back to w/o an administrator password I cant become an administrator

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This is all wrong. Open up an elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below into the window, and then hit the Enter key.

net user administrator /active:yes

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    To open an elevated command prompt window right click the start icon at bottom left then click on Command Prompt (Admin)

10. jenae

jenae

Hi managed, since V1709 the cmd prompt from start (win + x) has been replaced by Powershell (admin), you can get it back, however you need to do this in settings. No worry as powershell accepts the net cmds just as well, so using powershell (admin) will work. BTW if you type cmd (press enter) in powershell, a cmd prompt will open within the powershell window. The user will need to restart and then switch users to access the admin account.

You can also elevate your standard account to admin from an elevated cmd prompt (or Powershell(admin) prompt.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi jenae,

I just checked and I have Powershell but thought it was simpler to use cmd in my post !

12. deanercan

deanercan Thread Starter

I dont know if my pc is different-windows 10 or not but everything I'm trying doesnt workIdo appreciate you all trying to help-but if i tryto elevate it tells me i need to be an administrator to do so,and if i try to use powershell admin it brings up the famous- do you want to make these changes-with only answer being no or sign in with administrator password

13. jenae

jenae

Hi, press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box type:-

msconfig (press enter) system configuration will open, select the "Boot" tab, put a check in "Safe boot" and restart computer.

Your computer will boot to safe mode.

In safe mode press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box type:-

cmd (next press the ctrl+shift+enter keys together) an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy the below cmd, right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

Now go back to a run cmd (win + r) and this time type msconfig, press enter, open the "boot" tab and uncheck "Safe Boot" restart computer, into normal mode. Go to shutdown and select the option to switch users you will see a Admin account choose this, open control panel "user accounts" and elevate your user to an admin account.

14. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When asked for the Administrator password, have you tried just pressing the "Enter" key.
    This works if NO real password has been added.

15. lunarlander

lunarlander

The answer is simple. If your current account is not administrative, then you cannot use it to install software or activate the hidden Administrator.

In the old days prior to Windows 10, you can get to an admin command prompt in Safe Mode, but not anymore.

The first account created when you installed Windows is administrative.

If this is not your PC, or you bought it from another person, you need to ask the admin which is the administrative account and what the password is.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice