1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bee Gees' Singer Maurice Gibb Dies, Aged 53

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by joe2cool, Jan 12, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. joe2cool

joe2cool Thread Starter

Bee Gees' Singer Maurice Gibb Dies, Aged 53

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) - Singer Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees, one of the 1970s premier disco groups, has died after undergoing abdominal surgery last week, his family said on Sunday. He was 53.

"His love, enthusiasm and energy for life remain an inspiration to all of us," the family said in a statement issued at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami, where he was treated.

Gibb collapsed at his Miami home Thursday after suffering intense stomach pains and was rushed to the hospital. After surgery on an intestinal blockage, Gibb was listed in critical but stable condition for three days before his death.

Maurice, his twin Robin and their older brother, Barry, formed the Bee Gees as youngsters in 1958 in Brisbane, Australia. The group hit the height of their fame during the disco craze of the 1970s with the soundtrack to the film "Saturday Night Fever."

Maurice Gibb, whose voice is perhaps least familiar to the public, usually focused on back-up and harmony vocals.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Joe: Yep I saw that. What a shame! But hopefully he is back with Andy now and singing to the angels. Take care. angel :)

3. joe2cool

joe2cool Thread Starter

Full story Here

4. DanC

DanC

So much music he made. I was never a fan of the disco stuff but I still have the red velvet covered lp "Odessa". One of my first.

RIP Maurice

5. boyoh53

boyoh53

I didn't like the stuff they have been making this last few years.
    But in their earlier years they were untouchable. It's a sad day.
    Another hero from the sixties gone RIP. :(

6. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I can't blame them for questioning the surgery especially when he was recovering from cardiac arrest....but sometimes intestinal blockages have to be repaired immediately as they themselves can cause death if left untreated too long. It's so sad Maurice died at such a young age. Take care. angel

MIAMI BEACH, Florida -- Relatives of Bee Gee Maurice Gibb said Monday that they plan to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death.

The musician was taken to Mount Sinai Medical Center after collapsing in his home in Miami Beach with an intestinal blockage last Wednesday.

Before Gibb underwent emergency abdominal surgery Thursday, he suffered cardiac arrest, according to a hospital statement. Afterward, he was in critical condition.

"The fact that they had to operate on Maurice during the shock of cardiac arrest is very questionable, and we will pursue every factor, every element, every second of the timeline of the final hours of Maurice's life," Gibb's brother Barry told the British Broadcasting Corp.

"We will pursue that relentlessly. That will be our quest from now on," he said

During the surgery, doctors removed 80 percent of Maurice Gibb's stomach, he said.

Maurice's agent, Carol Peters, said Gibb was able to open his eyes and wiggle his toes after the operation.

Gibb, 53, died early Sunday.

A doctor not related to the case told CNN that it would be extremely unusual for surgeons to continue an operation after a patient has suffered cardiac arrest. Only a catastrophic event during surgery would likely have necessitated continuing, the doctor said.

Citing patient privacy laws, the hospital said it was unable to comment.

A memorial service is planned for Wednesday in the Miami, Florida area, Peters said.

A hospital source said singer Michael Jackson visited Gibb in the hospital.

Maurice Gibb played bass and keyboard for the group, whose name is short for the Brothers Gibb.

The remaining Gibb brothers said they will continue to write and perform as the Bee Gees and plan to dedicate their next album to Maurice.

The Bee Gees -- Maurice, his twin brother, Robin, and their older brother, Barry -- have lived in South Florida since the late 1970s. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart infection.

Known for their close harmonies and original sound, the Bee Gees are members of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, and their 1977 contributions to the "Saturday Night Fever" album helped make it the best-selling movie soundtrack ever. Among the hits on that album are "Stayin' Alive," "More Than a Woman" and "How Deep Is Your Love."

Their other hits include the haunting "New York Mining Disaster 1941," "I Started a Joke," "Lonely Days" and "Jive Talkin'."

The group won seven Grammy Awards together. The Bee Gees' most recent album, "This Is Where I Came In," was released in 2001.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice