Beep, Beep, Beepbeepbeep

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackrabbit

I just got a strange reaction from my pc. It was working fine last night, I went to start, turn off computer, shut down and went to bed. I got up this morning and I saw a notice on the screen (PC did not shut down during the night) It said there was a change to the global template for microsoft word and did I want to save changes so I said no and the pc shut down. Later on I tried to call up my key logger and heard a beeping noise from within my pc. I paid it no attention and went on the rest of the day working. I was using Quicken later on and noticed that when I tried to view certain graphs they seemed to be "fluttering" (The page seemed to go up and down rapidly on its own) I closed it and ran Avast antivirus scan. I tried to activate it and got an error message that said it ran into some kind of runtime error (I think) I finly got it started, ran a scan and came up empty of viruses. Then Avast kept shutting itself off. I emptied my waste basket, went to internet options, deleted all files and history (Including online content) then cleared all in Firefox. Next I went to start, run msconfig, start up disable all, restart, back to start, run, msconfig, enable all, reboot and everything seems to be fine now. Can anyone tell me what this may have or still is?

Your Word template probably was corrupted. Close Word and then run a search for file or files named:
Normal.dot and delete any found.
Restart and when you reopen Word a new Normal.dot template will be created.

jackrabbit

I just tried that and all it found was Word normal, not normal.dot. I even searched in hidden files and folders. I still have the disk for to install it, will controll panel, add remove programs, remove word, restart, re install word be effective? And do you think anything else may have been "Damaged" by this? Also I just remembered that I never fully loaded word, I forgot the key so I been using another word processer untill I can locate the key to activate it

If you didn't completely install Word, then I would uninstall if it is Add/Remove Programs. It may be a conflict between it and the word program you are using. If there is not a Normal.dot file, then Word must not be complete.

jackrabbit

I'll remove the older version of word as I normally use Word Perfect. I just thought that any old files written with the old word program that I still have would need this program to open it. I not worried though cause I have very few files left with the old word, thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online