1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beep Beep! Why? Why? WHY!!!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by msonberg, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me what this is from and/or how to fix it? My PC has been restarting on it's own as well, and I feel like the extra beep at startup may be trying to tell me what's goin on. I just don't know what the beeps mean. Can anyone help me here?

2. Firah

Firah

msonberg,

You could go HERE OR HERE and check the meaning of the beep code according to the BIOS on the motherboard.

3. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me they know what's goin on here! After I enter my login password to get to my desktop on XP pro, I hear two beeps. One sounds like the normal beep you get during post and then the other sounds lower and a little longer. My pc has also been rebooting itself at random.

When my pc is booting though I get the normal one beep that tells me everything is o.k.

I thought it might be a RAM issue, so I had my RAM replaced. Still getting the same beeps.

I have AWARD BIOS. But my gut tells me that's not the problem. How can I dig into this to figure it out?

Somebody has to have some idea about this!

Anyone Anyone Anyone ???

4. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me they know what's goin on here! After I enter my login password to get to my desktop on XP pro, I hear two beeps. One sounds like the normal beep you get during post and then the other sounds lower and a little longer. My pc has also been rebooting itself at random.

When my pc is booting though I get the normal one beep that tells me everything is o.k.

I thought it might be a RAM issue, so I had my RAM replaced. Still getting the same beeps.

I have AWARD BIOS. But my gut tells me that's not the problem. How can I dig into this to figure it out?

Somebody has to have some idea about this!

Anyone Anyone Anyone ???

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Heat issue? Access bios setup and look for PC Health.

6. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

So you're thinking that heat could be the cause of all of this? Sometimes I'll get the application error message telling me that an app has to shut down (outlook, win explorer, etc) and one time the troubleshoot option that pops up directed me to a site that I wish I could remember right now that was telling me to update a driver. I tried the update and still got the same suggestion the next time. I'll try shutting down and letting things cool off a bit and see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions in the meantime based on this additional info?

7. ~Candy~

Does it shutdown in safemode?

8. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

Haven't tried safe mode yet. It's kind of random when it shuts down. So I'll have to restart sometime in safe mode and let it sit for a while to see if it does. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and it restarts overnight. I'll try when I'm home for lunch and see if it has restarted by the time I return from work.

Can you recommend a piece of shareware that will examine my existing hardware and tell me where/what to update?

9. ~Candy~

I don't recommend updating drivers unless you have an actual problem with that particular piece of hardware.

The Microsoft update will point out what's available though.

10. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

Is this "microsoft update" something that examines things like video card driver updates, sound cards, etc? Or is it specific to OS updates? And does it run from my machine or is it an option on Micro's website?

11. ~Candy~

Examines the OS too, but they usually point out hardware updates available too, although I highly denounce downloading any hardware drivers they recommend. I've seen too many things get broken that way.
    Should be available on your start menu. Windows update.

12. Miz

Miz

According to this site, one high, one low beep means "Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed."

13. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

ok. I just got another reply in another forum suggesting the heat issue as well. Also said it could be a problem with the way my proc is seated. I'm goin to check all of this in a bit. Thanks for all of your help!

14. ~Candy~

*sigh*

Let me merge everything, otherwise you have us chasing our tails........

Edit, there was also one from 4/13 that you never replied back to, I've merged that as well. You also seem to have a speaker issue that you never followed up on either.

15. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

I'm sorry about the sound issue. I wasn't able to resolve that one. I can add one other thing to that that might help. Whenever I scoll with the mouse wheel, the high pitched static/feedback disappears for a second, then returns. I just checked my temp's with Asus Probe and everything looks good.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice