1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

beep code and HDD problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antisabre, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antisabre

antisabre Thread Starter

I had 2 partitions, one with 98 one with XP. It was like this for a few months. I was in the XP partition, restarted the pc so i could go to the 98 partition. When i restarted it, it started beeping (beep code beeping), and wouldn't stop. The whole time i was in 98 it was beeping. I restarted and went into XP this time and once the XP loading screen came on it stopped. When ever i was in 98 it would beep but XP didnt.
    So i figured that i would just delete the 98 partition using partition magic. Anyways to make a long story short, something went wrong. It never set the Xp partiton to primary like it was supposed to. Now i cant do anything with the HD at all. I tried to set it to primary with fdisk but it wont do it. I tried making it primary with partition magic but it says that the partition is "dismounted improperly" . Their website says to run checkdisk but i cant get it to. I got pissed and figured that i would just delete it. Fdisk wont delete it either.
    So i bought a new HD and put only XP on it. It still beeps until it gets to the loading screen. But the main thing i need now is to get into the old HD. i forgot about some of the things on it and i need some of it.

specs:
    Soltek SL-75DRV4 awardBios
    Asus Geforce4 ti4600 vid card
    WD 40gig HDD ( the old one is IBM 60 gig)
    Athlon XP 1800+
    512 PC2100 ram

2. waltj2

waltj2

When you deleted 98, you deleted the boot info for XP, that is why you couldnt get into XP. The 98 partition held the info. You could try loading 98 onto it, then load PartitionMagic & see if you can view the Partitions. If the XP partition was NTFS, fdisk cant set it active. It reads the partition as non-DOS, and can only delete it. It might even take a few attempts to delete it, but it will. It has happened to me on occasion. The beeps indicate a problem, & should have been investigated first, esp if only one OS had them. Could have been an incompatible driver in 98.

3. jjb

jjb

You may want to take a look here <http://bioscentral.com/> to see what the "beeps" may have been trying to tell you.

4. antisabre

antisabre Thread Starter

that link led me to this info:
    Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

now i have 2 256 sticks in it. i tried each one by itself and it still beeped. Now It would suck if both went to crap at the same time. Also during the memory test during startup it doesnt report any problems.
    Is there a free progam or something i can D/l that checks the memory or should i bring em to a PC shop and see if i can have them tested?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/123979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice