1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

beep codes on new computer please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fastlane247, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I just purchased a new computer and i put it together with a friend, we have done this many times so we do know what we are doing but im not sure why i am getting beep codes at the bootup and nothing happens, i dont get anything on the screen at all.

I have an Asus M2N-E mother board and i get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, i have tried reseating the ram and the video card and it does not seem to change anything, even when i dont have them in it does the same thing. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you .

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Sounds like a vid card or vid card socket problem.

3. WarC

WarC

Yeah, 1 long 2 short on the AWARD bios (which most ASUS boards use) indicates a video adaptor error. If you have another video card handy you could make sure.

Might be a dead card. :(

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

5. Fastlane247

I have OCz pc2 4200 ram which i have been told might be the problem. I hear it is not compatible with this board, could that be true. I am thinking of trading this vid card in for the 7900gt instead anyway because this one doesnt seem like a huge gamer card but do you happen to know if that ram is a known issue. thanks

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds like it's going to be yet another black mark in the ASUS motherboard column....

You could briefly try a different power supply if you have one handy.
    It's a very long shot, but faulty power supplies can manifest some odd symptoms.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Per mobo link given in post #4 your ram should work fine. It is telling you something is wrong with the video using the beep codes you gave.

8. Fastlane247

I think it is sounding like it is either the video card or the ram. I think i am going to take the geforce 7600 gs oc back and change that for the 7900gt oc, i cant seem to find any benchmarks on the 7600gs so have no idea if it is that great with games anyway. I have also read alot aon the OCz gold ram i purchased as being a problem with this mobo so i think i will take that back and get corsair ram which i hope is going to be as good quality as the OCz gold ram. If anyone has any other suggestions which could fix this problem tonight that would be great but i have a feeling i am going to have to change some parts for stuff that works.

9. Fastlane247

I have read on othe forums that this kind of ram makes the same beep codes with the mobo because they are not compatible. I dont even know what to do now lol.

10. Fastlane247

11. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

You're saying in your original post that the beeps remain even without RAM or video installed.

That doesn't infer that there is a problem with the RAM or the video card.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Funny you should mention the OCZ ram and I have noticed there are very few boards it is approved for...I use Corsair, Kingston and Crucial, and only when they are approved for the particular motherboard, which is why I have never use Ocz, I seldom find it listed compatible for newer boards and I am not a gambler, but I still agree with everyone else, the beeps you are getting are the video card.

13. Fastlane247

So if i do not have the ram or video card installed and it still makes the same beep codes this means it is the mobo?... Well im taking the computer back to the store and im going to try new ram and video while im there because if none of it fixes the problem then i guess ill know it is a mobo problem but ill post again after i get back from the store and let everyone know what it was. thanks for all the help.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

I guess what I was saying is the ram is suspect, but the problem now seems to be the video card.

15. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Yes, basically, that's what i've been trying to get across.
    The problem is obviously more fundamental than a RAM and/or graphic card issue, like motherboard / power supply / CPU level.

You can leave any doubts about the CPU until last, besides which, the beep codes would probably sound a CPU fault.
    As I said a few posts ago, try a different power supply if you have one handy.
    Other than that, it's reasonably safe to assume you've got a DOA motherboard (or it hasn't been installed properly).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/478915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice