1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beep Codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suga252, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

OK guys, I got a good one for ya.

HOW DO YOU FIX A CMOS READ/WRITE ERROR!!!!! :confused:

I got a system whose CMOS was previously giving me all kinds of errors on start up, to the point where it started asking me for a password, and the customer NEVER put one in. Now I'm getting this beep code from the system, and when i looked it up, the code was described as a CMOS Read/Write error. I don't know what OS it is, but I can assume 95, due to the fact that it has an intel 486sx. Would the most logical solution be to convince the customer to purchase a new, UP TO DATE system? Or can that problem actually be fixed?

2. moebius

moebius

getting it moved to hardware

the bios/cmos has to be replaced

3. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

"The Infinidude"?????
    Cute, I like that. ;) :)

Anyway, that's kindof what I thought. I mean, I know I can try to flash the bios, but it's a 486, what's the point. Plus, I wasn't sure if flashing the bios was an option to fix that type error. Thanx for your help.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did someone already try to flash it and ended up with a bad flash???

5. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

Not that I know of. I don't know what was done to it before she brought it in. She brought it in cause she wanted a modem. But from the time I started work on it, it was giving me all kinds of CMOS problems, from wrong date and time to incorrect configurations, to wanting to boot from nothing else but a floppy, to wanting a password, and now the beep codes and freezing during POST, if it even gets that far.

6. ~Candy~

Well, I'd say the 486sx has served her well :D

Time to enter the 21st century :D

7. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

Amen, I hear ya!!!!!!! ;)

I talked to her about it, and she was thinking about a new one anyway. Thanx for all the help.

8. hammerbill

hammerbill

If it is only cmos, then it can be rewritten from bios. (suprising how many people do not know the difference). The jumper, usually but not always JP5 is often colored differently and is usually near the board battery. Just move the jumper to the other pins (or temporarily place one on a two jumper reset) while the system is off.
    Perhaps the customer hasn't enough money to buy kids' shoes after buying a new computer. Or she doesn't use it much. Tell her to replace it when it fits into the appropriate time in the budget :)

9. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

I understand what you mean about buying at a more convenient time. I don't have my own computer, nevermind the money to even think about one. I will try shorting the jumpers, which was my original plan, but using the battery instead. When I realized the battery was soldered to the board, it never crossed my mind to look for a jumper. Thanx.

10. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

No luck with the jumpers. :(

11. ~Candy~

Did you unplug the power to the motherboard first? I think your problem is bigger than that anyway, but certainly worth a shot.

12. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

I sure did, what else do you think it could be??

13. ~Candy~

The bios chip itself more than likely.

14. moebius

moebius

ask around, many people have a lot of old computer parts lying around, ull probably get a 486 mobo for free. i have one, im willing to give, but the shipping costs arent worth it. ask around.

oh, and assembling a 486: its like alien technology nowadays, few people know how!

15. ~Candy~

Hey now, I have a 386 still laying around somewhere :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice