1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beep codes!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zznuke3, Aug 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zznuke3

zznuke3 Thread Starter

Help!!!! When I turned on my computer the monitor was blank and the computer initiated a continous cycle of long beeps (beeeeeeeeeep, beeeeeeeeeep, etc.) I can't figure out if the beep codes correspond to a system board failure, monitor/graphics board failure, or power supply failure. ???

2. Sponsor

3. bdimag

bdimag

possibly a power supply because I know that when my moms laptop runs low on batteries, it repeatedly plays like a 2 second beep, which is what it sounds like your hearing

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Beep codes vary somewhat by bios manufacture but continuous beeps will probably mean that your memory has problems. If you know your bios mfg, the following is a link to a list of codes.
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

If you had moved the computer or even if not, I would unplug it, open it up, after grounding yourself to the chasis, carefully reseat the various cards, memory and all cables at both ends.

5. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

A series of about seven beeps is an indication of problems with the video card (we've had this problem at work with several systems). Since your monitor is black, this may be what you're experiencing..... :(

6. zznuke3

zznuke3 Thread Starter

I'll admit I made a hasty attempt to diagnose a bad motherboard or power supply, but it was late at night. When I get a chance, I'll start up my PC with each card in the different sequences, and determine whether it's the RAM or a drive, I SERIOUSLY doubt it is. How would I go about "testing" the power supply? I could switch it out with the one on my bro's PC but his is an ATX, while mine is AT.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/49865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice