1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beep of Doom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jatex, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jatex

jatex Thread Starter

I have this old computer that was running fine until I backed my chair up into the side of the computer.

At that point it started beeping and the display disapeared. I am not sure if it restarted or not, but I turned it off immediately, trying to do some damage control. Now when I boot up my computer I get one long beep, that just never stops, and there is no video display on my monitors, not even a BIOS screen, nothing.

I have done some research about this issue, and I have narrowed it down to some issues. The video card, mobo, or RAM. I took out my RAM and video card at the same time, and still got the same error, then I replaced each one separately, and still got the annoying long beep. This makes me think that it is the mother board.

Here are the specs of my computer (a little skimpy because it's fairly old)
    Amd athlon 1800+ (i think)
    ATI pcie x700
    1gb of ram (512mb x2) [corsair and gigaram] pc3200

Also, I noticed that when I boot up now the fan on my video card no longer spins. I am not sure that this was happening before, but I just noticed it now.

Any advice/suggestions will be deeply considered. This computer was working fine until I banged it up from my chair.

SOLVED: I found a few old sticks of RAM laying around so I decided to try and put them in. Bingo, the annoying long beep stopped, and my computer booted up perfectly. So I guess RAM was to blame for that whole escapade.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice