1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beeping computer is it normal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blackmirror, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blackmirror

Blackmirror Thread Starter

Any comments please for a friend

i am thinking the mb is counting the USB devices ??

Experts i await your ponderings please

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see one or two things;

1 You have a 790X chipset board. Are you by chance running an amd quad core like a 9500, 9600, etc?

2 Why not run memtest yourself and see what it says?

What memory is installed; ie kingston, crucial, etc?

3. Blackmirror

Thanks will ask for the information and let you know..

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are problems with the even numbered quads; ie 9500, 9600 that was corrected with the 9550, 9750, etc.

If running one of the problem cores, you must update the bios at least to one that has the TLB bug fix.

5. Blackmirror

Will that stop the beeping ??

6. Bv202

Bv202

Hey,

I'm the owner of that post :)
    First of all, sorry I'm posting at multiple forums. I didn't expect this would cause problems at some of them. I hope you can continue helping me as you're the only one who seems to have a solution for it.

Yes, I have the 9600 quad-core processor. What is the bug?
    - Are the beeps normal (including the 4 beeps and the 3 beeps with one long) with the bug?
    - Does it causes the crashes/BSOD's?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it does cause a freeze of the system. As for the beeps, every board seems to be different in what it calls "normal" post beeps. In any case, you need a bios that addresses the TLB bug.

Next item, you will lose some performance after the bios fix is installed. AMD says 10% and others say 10-20%.

Here is what I would do.

1 Go to the board maker's site and download the latest bios. Before flashing the bios, read the instructions and follow them completely. I do not want to scare you however an incorrect flash can render your system unbootable.

2 Once that is done, you need to run memtest and test your memory.

I would post what type of ram; ie brand and model. The reason is that high end ram often needs a higher vdimm [ram voltage] set in the bios.

8. Bv202

Bv202

Hey,

The store will do the bugfix for me... they'll test today if the bug is present. If so, they'll patch it for me:)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am wondering why they did not fix it before when you brought it in for service? I would be somewhat doubting their competence in this regard since you had to tell them to check for the bios update.

10. Bv202

Bv202

Well, once I told him about the bug, he said "this bug is very rare... you're the first one if that is the problem'.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Very rare??? That is why AMD released a fix to the board makers to include in a bios update AND why they released a follow up core; ie the -50 series. Yes, it must be very rare for a chipmaker to go through all of that work :D

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just wondering, is this a real shop or is it a big store chain type of place?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice