1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beeping sound coming from my graphics card (I think)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neo7598, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neo7598

Neo7598 Thread Starter

Please could you help. I hear a beep which comes from my graphics card I think when playing Soldier of Fortune , this does not happen with other games i play such as Conflict Desert Storm or Moto GP 2. The nature of the beeps are not consistent and tend to happen after a set period of time for example it will beep once, then stop, then maybe a few minutes later it will beep again then stop, then it may beep 3 times in a row at times then stop again for a while, It doesnt happen all the time only sometimes. Is this my card overheating? If so could i speed up my fan to cool it down quicker. The card is a Geforce 4 TI 4200 64MB, with a fan on the card, My Processor is 1.7 GHZ Celeron, ive got 192 RAM but I think only 64mb is available as the rest is taken up. I would be very grateful if you could offer some advice such as buying a PCI Fan to install underneath the card for additional cooling or how to speed up my current fan etc. Or is it simply nothing to worry about? I have not overclocked my G Card. Its only this one game it beeps on. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks -Rob-.(y)

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

It only happens with this one game,huh? Does the game stall,or lock up? And what are the "recommended hardware" for this game?

3. Neo7598

Neo7598 Thread Starter

Yes its just this one game. The specifications for the game are:
    Pentium 233MHz,
    64MB of RAM,
    Windows 95,98,ME,
    My current OS is Windows XP but it runs fine, theres no lock ups or freezing during game play the game runs very smoothly and at a high frame rate, It runs the game from my HD though i dont need to put the cd into the drive in order to play the game. So maybe thats more strain on the G card i dont know. All my other games I need to put the CD in to play them. Its strange as its just this one game and I would have thought that the beeps would be consistent if the card was overheating but as I said it just beeps once or twice now and again, suggesting that its cooled down as quickly as its heated up? Which seems odd.

4. Neo7598

Neo7598 Thread Starter

I would have thought that the beeps would be continuous if the card had overheated.

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I dunno...,I'd say you "should" see some other failures of the card if it was over-heating,i.e. stuttering action,slow-downs,lock-ups.
    But,if it is just doing this during this particular game,I don't think I'd worry about it too much.
    Have you tried re-installing the game? just a thought...
    What motherboard have you got there...,I'll look to see if there are any particular known issues with that video card.

6. Neo7598

Neo7598 Thread Starter

Motherboard is.. Columbia GX 'GA 8-SIML' :), im not sure about the (GA8 SIML) part though. Just consider it a columbia gx that im certain.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice