1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beeps and doesn't load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deb0and, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

Can some on tell me what 2 sets of 3 beeps and a single beep means- that's
    Seven beeps in total, it turns on then turns itself off

Running winxp sp3

Had random system crashes before this happened

Greatly appreciated

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Depends on the BIOS being used. It's possible you may need to install a new cmos battery (likely). It may be a failed cmos chip (unlikely).

May even be failing RAM but you'll have to give exact bios make and version.

Can you enter bios setup routing by pressing the appropriate key at boot?

3. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

Hi

Sorry but nothing loads can't even see anything on screen

Laptop is fujitsu seimens amilo li1705

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

I assume you have tried booting using either power supply mode, battery alone and line. If so, it's very likely that you have a hardware failure on the motherboard. That would normally mean you now have a useless computer.

It could be something repairable but it doesn't look good. You could try unplugging the hard drive and see if you can get any video upon booting. Other than that, it'll take a bench tech to diagnose but normally it won't pay to fix it.

Check the manufacturer's site to see if it's something others have experienced.

5. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

I tried without harddrive and still no video output, it also turns itself after about 4 minutes too.

I have bad the laptop about 5 years it has been a good one, suppose nothing lasts forever

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Check the makers website for the manual - or check underneath for the ram cover.
    Remove the Ram stick and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and then carefully put them back in the laptop.
    It may work, [may]

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

Remove RAM stick, clean and replace. If no better, remove RAM stick and try booting without it. If multiple sticks, try each one separately.

It's not looking good for the mobo. :(

8. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

I will try that, thanks for help

9. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

Tried removing and cleaning the ram but still get the same loud series of beeps and nothing on the screen!!

Could this be the screen?

Or is it dead?

10. surferdude2

surferdude2

Yep, could be the screen but not likely since bios beeps are being produced and wouldn't be with a screen failure, could be some discreet/obscure mobo (big money to diagnose) component. Either way, it would have to be in warranty to be worth fixing.

11. deb0and

deb0and Thread Starter

I have done some messing about and the laptop works without beeping when plugged into and external monitor, so i thought screen problem, however i have bought a new screen and fitted it and it still doesnt work but still works with external monitor

So the the only thing between the laptop and new screen is the connecting cable -so it must be this right? could it be anything else?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice