1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beeps, Growls and Freezes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bearspencer, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bearspencer

bearspencer Thread Starter

I turned on my laptop and tuned intoPandora. After a few minutes I heard a short beep (didn't sound likea system beep) and the music turned into a growl. After about 30seconds, it went back to playing normally. But minutes later, theevent re-occurred. After this beast's fourth appearance, I decidedto diagnose it's genesis.

The BGF appeared on other streamingaudio sites, so I turned to Youtube and discovered that when the
    “growl” occurred the video froze as well. Shortly afterwardI found the freeze extended system wide, making the laptop initiallyunresponsive to input; but when the growling stopped, the laptopwould move the mouse cursor and enter the keystrokes I entered whilethe freeze occurred.

I closed the browser down and attemptedto play mp3's on the hard drive. It would play for awhile, then theBGF would appear again. I noticed that the timing seemed regular, soI tracked it for an hour. The clitch re-occured every four minutes.

Since I had installed an updated videodriver the day before, I rolled back to the previous one andre-booted. Didn't fix it. Uninstalled the audio driver withoutresult. I took it (a pizza and a six-pack) to my local computerrepair store where we listened to Pandora, Spotify and NPR, watchedYouTube and Person of Interest and played five different audioformats for an hour and a half without any problems.

Brought it back to the house and itwent back to its four minute feeding schedule.

Decided it had to be a problem somehowconnected to my network connection, so I disabled the Wi-Fi card and put on aDVD which ran flawlessly. Turned off the other three PC's connectedto the network (none of which suffered from the laptop's problem) andunplugged the router for 2 minutes, and uninstalled then re-installedthe laptop's Wi-Fi card driver. Turned it all back on and stilldon't have any love.

Anyone have ideas?

I'm running Win 7 Home 64.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice