1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Before Installing Vista & Planned System Upgrades

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by junialum, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junialum

junialum Thread Starter

Hi All!

I'm planning to purchase Windows Vista Ultimate OEM. Here are my current specs:

Dell Dimension 9150
    Pentium D 830 3Ghz w/ Dual Core Technology (2MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB)
    Intel 945P Chipset
    1GB (2x512) DDR2 533Mhz SDRAM
    ATI Radeon X600
    SoundBlaster Xi-Fi XtremeMusic
    160 GB SATA HD
    80 GB SATA HD
    Philips DVD +/- RW DVD8701
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
    Dell Preinstalled internal 13 in 1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
    Dell USB Multimedia Keyboard (I can't determine the model number)
    Dell Preinstalled Firewire Card
    Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
    XBOX 360 Controller for Windows
    Epson Perfection 3590 Scanner
    Canon Pixma iP3000 Printer
    Dell 1905FP UltraSharp Monitor

I have a few questions:

1. I'm plunging Windows Vista Ultimate into this system first before buying the following upgrades:
    a) 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 677Mhz SDRAM [Upgrading in Mid March]
    b) A mid range DirectX 10 card once the market for DX10 cards have settled [Unsure when]​
    Do you foresee any problems installing Vista before the upgrades and/or after the upgrades?

2. Any Dell / experienced user here knows if the 13 in 1 USB 2.0 and the USB Multimedia Keyboard will be automatically supported in Vista Ultimate? The driver download section in Dell's website do not provide links to drivers for these 2 components.

3. I am in the midst of downloading all updated drivers, checking for latest program updates for my often used software (MS Office 2003 Pro, Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver 8, World of Warcraft: BC, FIFA 07, etc) and am burning all updated drivers / patches into a DVD before wiping my main HD (160Gb) clean and putting in a fresh installation of Vista Ultimate OEM. Am I missing anything?​

Thank you for all you upcoming replies / advices. :)

2. techy689

techy689

You should be able to run Vitsta perfectly fine with your computers hardware. Also, if you didn't find any drivers for any certain pieces of hardware at the Dell site, they can most likely be found at the Microsoft site.... all the necessary drivers should be up.

3. techy689

techy689

So did you install it?

How is it?

4. junialum

junialum Thread Starter

I have not bought it yet. I've heard that there are problems with the X-FI drivers and the driver for my scanner is not available yet. Will update when installed.

Thanks for your advice!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!