Before Installing Vista & Planned System Upgrades

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

junialum

Hi All!

I'm planning to purchase Windows Vista Ultimate OEM. Here are my current specs:

Dell Dimension 9150
Pentium D 830 3Ghz w/ Dual Core Technology (2MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB)
Intel 945P Chipset
1GB (2x512) DDR2 533Mhz SDRAM
ATI Radeon X600
SoundBlaster Xi-Fi XtremeMusic
160 GB SATA HD
80 GB SATA HD
Philips DVD +/- RW DVD8701
TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
Dell Preinstalled internal 13 in 1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
Dell USB Multimedia Keyboard (I can't determine the model number)
Dell Preinstalled Firewire Card
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
XBOX 360 Controller for Windows
Epson Perfection 3590 Scanner
Canon Pixma iP3000 Printer
Dell 1905FP UltraSharp Monitor

I have a few questions:

1. I'm plunging Windows Vista Ultimate into this system first before buying the following upgrades:
a) 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR2 677Mhz SDRAM [Upgrading in Mid March]
b) A mid range DirectX 10 card once the market for DX10 cards have settled [Unsure when]​
Do you foresee any problems installing Vista before the upgrades and/or after the upgrades?

2. Any Dell / experienced user here knows if the 13 in 1 USB 2.0 and the USB Multimedia Keyboard will be automatically supported in Vista Ultimate? The driver download section in Dell's website do not provide links to drivers for these 2 components.

3. I am in the midst of downloading all updated drivers, checking for latest program updates for my often used software (MS Office 2003 Pro, Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver 8, World of Warcraft: BC, FIFA 07, etc) and am burning all updated drivers / patches into a DVD before wiping my main HD (160Gb) clean and putting in a fresh installation of Vista Ultimate OEM. Am I missing anything?​

Thank you for all you upcoming replies / advices. :)

You should be able to run Vitsta perfectly fine with your computers hardware. Also, if you didn't find any drivers for any certain pieces of hardware at the Dell site, they can most likely be found at the Microsoft site.... all the necessary drivers should be up.

junialum

I have not bought it yet. I've heard that there are problems with the X-FI drivers and the driver for my scanner is not available yet. Will update when installed.

Thanks for your advice!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online