1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BEFSR41 V3 giving me a HARD TIME!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xenihtis, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xenihtis

xenihtis Thread Starter

i called technical support and told them my router keeps timing out after 5 minutes. I only can access the setup page. I don't know what the problem could be. This is my new replacement product and still it's doing what the first one did. what else can i expect from linksys!!

does anyone have any knowledge on this issue? I'd really appreciate it if someone can just list the settings that should be selected. I feel like throwing it in the closet along with my other junk.

(I have Optimum Online in my home with a 3COM shark modem attached to the router)

2. xenihtis

xenihtis Thread Starter

i 4got....

i got a new P4 3.0GHz system with XP Pro running on it.

3. DZ007

DZ007

did they tell you how to configure the DNS and stuff properly? I have the same model router you have except it's v2, and I love it, it's the best thing I have got since I got DSL. once you figure out how to make it work it would be great.

4. xenihtis

xenihtis Thread Starter

they didn't tell me anything. i can't deal with them anymore. i think that if i specify all addresses manually, it would work better, but i dont know if optimum online uses a static IP or do i just leave it as "Obtain an IP automatically"

ill keep trying, but any additional help would be appreciated.

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

"Obtain IP automatically".

I agree with DZ007....mine's great!

SM

6. Fortch

Fortch

When you say 'time out', are you talking about basic surfing through a browser? Then, are you typing the IP to the router (ie 192.168.0.1)?

Normally, problems like this are DNS related. Have you tried pinging an IP from a command prompt when this happens? If its successful, then you may have DNS problems. Most ISPs have Dynamic assignment of IP addresses, and include the DNS in the IP assignment. You could check the router config, and if you believe its a DNS (common name to IP conversion) problem, call the ISP and explain.

Are you running any software firewall? Zone Alarm, etc... disable, or even uninstall during troubleshooting, as this is a common problem.

7. xenihtis

xenihtis Thread Starter

ok, here's the deal. i just came back from my cablevision center and replaced my old modem with a newer one (motorola surfboard sb5100). technical support said that everything was fine, just that maybe the modem wasn't compatible with the linksys. i'll fill you in on how everything works out.

8. xenihtis

xenihtis Thread Starter

its official! it was the cable modem that was incompatible with the router. my new sb5100 is working like a charm. thanx for all your help guys.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!