Begin screen on XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Herbie

I am using windows xp, when i turn on the computer it usually goes to the windows desktop screen. But now it stops at a screen that says "to begin use your user name" and i have to click on the winxp choice and then it will continue on to the normal desktop that i am used to.....Can anyone tell me how to change this startup to the original way that i am used to so that when i start the computer it will go to the normal windows desktop without any imput from me? thanks......Herbie:confused:

If you want XP to automatically log you on:

Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer
Then enter the name of the account and password (if there is any) that you want it to use by default.

Herbie

thanks for the info bob. i thought it was going to work at first but after i booted up it loged on automaticly but it took me to a different desktop screen......."no good"
and now i find that after logging on and working for a while...if i don't type on the computer for about 10 minutes it reverts back to the logon screen all over again...
any other ideas?????
herbie

jrbuergel

Jim
Open your control panel, and then click the "User Accounts" and you should be able to either change your current user profile logon, or just create a new user account, and then change it to the way you want it to be.

Herbie

i want it to just start when i press the button to turn on the computer and then without any imput from me, go on to the desktop just like it used to do.....it stopped going directly to the windows desktop after i installed the 2005 quickbooks from off of the quickbooks website...
herbie

When you ran that line, you should have been prompted for the account and password. Are you absolutely certain you put in the right login name?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online