Beginner Needs Help! Would like to wire house with Ethernet cable for internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adame24

Hello. I would like to wire internet to more rooms in my house. I currently have a Linksys wireless router, and I am running cat 5e to the rooms. It has only 4 ports. I need 6 ports. Is it in my best interest to find another router with 6 ports, or should I get a "switch" or "hub". Any tips appreciated. I want to keep my wireless capabilities, but be on a wired network. Also will the speed of my internet be jeopardized?

THanks,

Adam

Adame24

Any tips. I am really new to this, I am trying to learn as many terms as possible so I don't sound stupid.

Buy a small workgroup 8 port switch. They are not overly expensive, gives you a couple of ports for future growth.

Or by cheap wireless cards I got Belkin USB wireless cards for less than $40. You dont have to open your computer up to install an internal card although that can be an option. And to answer your second question. As long as you are not downloading, you should have equal amounts of feed to each line if all you are doing is surfing the web. And I dont believe it reduces much if you are an online gamer either. Never tried that part yet (on line gaming and having another computer on the net). But i do know torrenting, using u torrent and stuff like that will slow you down.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I suggest the switch, an 8 port switch can be had for $30 or less. Wired will always be much more reliable than wireless, faster, more secure, and easier to get running. Wireless has one good attribute going for it, no wires! :D

I agree with JohnWill, WiFi is a pain. I had a room that was hard to access for a cable, so I used WiFi and the constant problems were just too much. I finally managed to get a cable installed. I still use the WiFi for my Work Laptop but it’s only just to do a quick connection for checking my mail. If I’m going to surf the internet, than I plug it in.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use wireless for the laptops and a computer for my grandson in the kitchen. That's only because running a wire was a bit of a PITA there. However, all the computers in my lab and my wife's system are wired. All of the NAS backup units, media player, print servers, etc. are also wired.

Adame24

Can I have both the router and switch plugged in together? To keep my wireless signal for laptops, and have the switch to hard wire my desktops?

Thanks,

Adam

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Sure, you plug the switch into one of the wired ports on the router, and you have the rest of the wired ports on the router, as well as the other switch ports available for wired connections. The wireless will still function for any wireless connections.

Adame24

Sure, you plug the switch into one of the wired ports on the router, and you have the rest of the wired ports on the router, as well as the other switch ports available for wired connections. The wireless will still function for any wireless connections.
Thanks for the help JohnWill. I will keep everyone updated with my progress.

Adam

Adame24

What is the best ethernet cable to use. I have cat6 for my current network. Should I buy a big spool and cut it myself? Also which wall mount should I use? And how do you hook the ethernet to the wall mount?

Thanks,

Adam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online