1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Beginner Needs Help! Would like to wire house with Ethernet cable for internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Adame24, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Hello. I would like to wire internet to more rooms in my house. I currently have a Linksys wireless router, and I am running cat 5e to the rooms. It has only 4 ports. I need 6 ports. Is it in my best interest to find another router with 6 ports, or should I get a "switch" or "hub". Any tips appreciated. I want to keep my wireless capabilities, but be on a wired network. Also will the speed of my internet be jeopardized?

THanks,

Adam

2. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Any tips. I am really new to this, I am trying to learn as many terms as possible so I don't sound stupid.

3. N E Key

N E Key

Buy a small workgroup 8 port switch. They are not overly expensive, gives you a couple of ports for future growth.

4. wallyb1280

wallyb1280

Or by cheap wireless cards I got Belkin USB wireless cards for less than $40. You dont have to open your computer up to install an internal card although that can be an option. And to answer your second question. As long as you are not downloading, you should have equal amounts of feed to each line if all you are doing is surfing the web. And I dont believe it reduces much if you are an online gamer either. Never tried that part yet (on line gaming and having another computer on the net). But i do know torrenting, using u torrent and stuff like that will slow you down.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest the switch, an 8 port switch can be had for $30 or less. Wired will always be much more reliable than wireless, faster, more secure, and easier to get running. Wireless has one good attribute going for it, no wires! :D

6. JohnnyB58

JohnnyB58

I agree with JohnWill, WiFi is a pain. I had a room that was hard to access for a cable, so I used WiFi and the constant problems were just too much. I finally managed to get a cable installed. I still use the WiFi for my Work Laptop but it’s only just to do a quick connection for checking my mail. If I’m going to surf the internet, than I plug it in.

7. JohnWill

I use wireless for the laptops and a computer for my grandson in the kitchen. That's only because running a wire was a bit of a PITA there. However, all the computers in my lab and my wife's system are wired. All of the NAS backup units, media player, print servers, etc. are also wired.

8. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Can I have both the router and switch plugged in together? To keep my wireless signal for laptops, and have the switch to hard wire my desktops?

Thanks,

Adam

9. JohnWill

Sure, you plug the switch into one of the wired ports on the router, and you have the rest of the wired ports on the router, as well as the other switch ports available for wired connections. The wireless will still function for any wireless connections.

10. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help JohnWill. I will keep everyone updated with my progress.

Adam

11. Adame24

Adame24 Thread Starter

What is the best ethernet cable to use. I have cat6 for my current network. Should I buy a big spool and cut it myself? Also which wall mount should I use? And how do you hook the ethernet to the wall mount?

Thanks,

Adam

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Home Depot and Lowes have networking departments with all the goodies you need to wire the house. . I bought a large roll of cat6 and still have some left over . .

This is a good guide to putting it all together: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/

13. JohnWill

14. mrpatbones

mrpatbones

Also remember to use cables that your nic cards support

15. JohnWill

NIC cards support any RJ45 connection, CAT5/CAT5e/CAT6. Other than optical NIC's, I can't imagine what you're referring to here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice