1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

beginner trying to network a XP w/ a new VISTA - please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by awcaw, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awcaw

awcaw Thread Starter

Trying to network my current XP computer with my new VISTA computer. I don't know what to go buy, like how many ethernet cables and do i need a hub ?

please help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you want Internet access on both of them? How do you currently access the Internet? I'd guess you probably need a broadband router, but not knowing what your actual intent is limits my thinking. :)

3. awcaw

awcaw Thread Starter

I have a qwest broadband modem, that I would want to connect both computers to the internet. what is a broad band router, and would a ethernet hub/adapter be the same thing, would that work or do i need a broadband router?

4. JohnWill

A broadband router includes a four port switch, so it's all you need for up to four wired computers. In addition, a wireless router will allow you to connect wireless workstations as well as the four wired ones. Either can be expanded using a switch to handle more wired stations easily.

Obviously, the Quest modem MUST have an Ethernet connection to use a broadband router, USB only modems don't work with routers.

5. awcaw

awcaw Thread Starter

so they make broadband routers with ports, so that i can plug in each computer and then run another wire from the router to the modem, right? is there any way you can find the actual product on like amazon.com or something like that so that i can see an example of one of those routers? and we aren't trying to get the wireless one, by the way. oh and thanks so much for this help

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here are some wired routers and here are some wireless. On that first page of the wireless they are mostly showing you more expensive ones. At that particular site, among others, you can find a pretty good buy by looking every other day for about a week.

Because of volume a wireless router is often about the same price as an equivalent wired one. If you get wireless because you may want it in the next year or two you can always disable the wireless until you use it.

Yes, I think amazon.com sells them also.

Look at them "in person" at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.

7. awcaw

awcaw Thread Starter

okay, this is what i've done in the last couple of hours.

i went to wal-mart, and bought two belkin RJ45 male/male fast cat 5e ethernet cables (25ft each) and a linksys 10/100 5-port workgroup switch. i plugged an ethernet into vista computer, ran that to the linksys. plugged my original qwest modem yellow ethernet from linksys to qwest modem, and another belkin ethernet from XP computer to linksys.

now i really don't know what to do next.

also, i see on the packaging that i might need a network adapter? but there are ethernet plugins on both of my computers. this really confused me.

8. jmwills

jmwills

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Earlier you said you "would want to connect both computers to the internet." If you mean at the same time you need to connect modem to PC1, 2nd NIC on PC1 to switch and PC2 to switch. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on PC1.

What you have now will work if you only connect one PC at a time to internet, and power cycle the modem when switching from one PC to the other.

Heck of a lot easier and more convenient with a router.

10. JohnWill

Terry's correct, take the switch back and buy a router!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!