Behaves strangely on power fluctuations

JKLE

Randomly, my PC shuts down and then shows a BIOS screen from American Megatrends which says

Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!
In short, my PC loses the session and shows the above BIOS like black screen even when there is a home UPS in use. I am not sure which component is causing the problem. Because most of the time, Home UPS is working fine. But I was told that SMPS could be a problem. The machine is a desktop which works fine normally. Only these very random ( 1-2 times per week ) surges in the line when power failure happens and backup kicks in or similar make the PC session drop and boot into the above mentioned Message. If possible, please help me troubleshoot this issue. Thanks.

JKLE

I am not sure which brand. Mainly because this is an assembled PC and not young either. Thanks.

JKLE

Thanks. I do not have Windows. Using Linux. I will soon find a way to post the specs.

crjdriver

Open the case and look; every part has either a label OR it has the mfg and part# silkscreened on the part itself. In order to suggest a pw supply, we need to know what video card, what processor, how many drives, etc.

JKLE

This might help, I had this on another thread

Asus motherboard.png

I am using 2 512 GB HDDs. I will add more details. Thanks.

Update 1: From Neofetch

CPU: AMD A6-6400K APU (2) @ 3.900GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 8470D
Memory: 955MiB / 7148MiB DDR#

--

There is a DVD drive from LG.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It sounds like your motherboard thinks the power supply is having issues. It may be right ...

To troubleshoot, take the UPS out of the equation. Plug straight into the wall, and test if the shutdowns still occur. If they do, problem is PSU. If not, problem is UPS.

JKLE

Those are pretty low specs so you can use just about any decent quality pw supply; even a CX series from corsair. Here is an example;
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Power Supply, CP-9020102-NA - Newegg.com
Note that is just an example; there are a lot of other quality pw supplies you can use.
Thanks. I recently chose to use 2 HDDs. Will that have any impact on this issue ?

If not, problem is UPS.
UPS technician agreed to attend to the issue. Sadly for another week, we are locked down. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online