1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Being a Distinguished member means nothing

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by telecom69, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Im beginning to think that its time that Distinguished member was dropped from the member status titles as it has come to mean absolutely nothing of late ,indeed its been seen by quite a few members as just being a race to get to 2000 posts,and Im pretty sure thats not what the title was created for, I would have thought that title was intended for members who had been around for a while,and have stayed loyal to the site,posting sensible answers (perhaps Im wrong :D ) instead of one word replies or even worse a smiley or thumbs up sign just to get post numbers up to 2000 in a month or less....

So what say you? anyone else out there agree with me ? or perhaps not :D

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

This wouldnt have anything to do with the congratulations given to Diane now would it ?????:p

It wouldnt matter to me what title i had as long as i felt a part of the Tsg community ...
    and if someone has made the effort to become a part dont you think we should give them a big TSG well done ...:) and be proud that they actually wanted to make 2000 posts to feel part

I have tried to help in the techie section but there is always someone one step ahead of me ... the benefits of so many members :D
    Does it really matter one way or the other ?????

I think not :)

3. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

I regret to say I am in total agreement - with you both!

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

I havent a clue who Diane is,so no it doesnt,in fact its not directed at anyone in particular,just quite a few in general...I know of one member who boasted how quickly they got to that status :D if I remember rightly it was done in just over two weeks .....all Im saying is whats the point in having a status,that can be reached in that short a time ? as it obviously means nothing.....( the status I mean)

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

I vote to change it to "Disturbed Member"... ;)

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

My apologies then :) .........perhaps senior member would be more appropriate .. distinguished makes me feel like royalty :) and i was referring to a post made recently congratulating Diane .....

I can understand your point especially for members who play the thread games and use the community side a lot post counts are going to be high.. but its not their fault ;)

So whats the solution i wonder ???? .. over to you:D

7. imperfeckd

imperfeckd Banned

when i first came to TSG i was looking for a home:) ...my first posts were in C/D because i neglected to read the sign on the door...i got myself one heck of a welcome...:eek: ..everyone thought i was a banned member and then one of the old mods thought that i was someone else using a proxy and my account was disabled...this was all on my first day of posting...:eek: ...but it was so important tto me that i stuck it out on the sidelines until the situation was cleared up...and i am sure glad that i did...:D

however i had been lurking around TSG for a week or so before i posted...i was looking for a Home and i have found it...:) (y)

my posts are not all smiley posts nor are they irrelevant...but i spend my time in the community getting to know people from around the world and making friends...this is my only means of socialization due to contributing factors...

when i became Distinguished it was a major accomplishment for me...it was the final step to feel like i had a family and a sense of belonging..i love it here and spend all of my time here on a daily basis...and i am happy to be here even without the words Distinguished member...quite honestly i would prefer a title like senior member...either way i would still feel the same sense of belonging...and that is what my membership gives me... a feeling of having a family that i never had...having a home that i have not had and friends that no other forum could ever match up to ...:) (y)

8. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I understand what you mean but I just ignore it. Some members also boast about other things that aren't really that special, etc. ;)

9. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

The subject of this thread comes up every few months.

NOTE: The following opinion is in no way a slam on anyone here at TSG who has become Distinguished through their Community posts; it is just my observation.

Way back when I first joined, the DMs had pretty much earned their status through helping folks by posting in the tech related forums. With the explosion of the Community forums, becoming Distinguished does not have the "clout" it was intended to - at least in my opinion.

I've always said that more emphasis should be placed on how long a member has been around here anyway. ;)

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

what about a seperate community title(y)
    service to TSG community and coffee shop :D although it would be hard to impose i would think

11. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Maybe instead of Posts: There should be Tech Posts: and Community Posts: :)

But that would be too long. Maybe it should only show that if you open the profile. :)

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

Been beat to death many times in many threads...

There may as well be no titles under the user name... it's as useless as the "Experience" option in the user Control Panel

13. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

ouch :D

14. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Yeah, I doubt (and don't care that much) that it would happen.

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

Sorry that it hurt...Just do a search...instead of quick reply...:rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice